• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exo Kit

olympic 4x4 makes one...

xjfrtsid.jpg

why do you need an exo cage?

running 32" tires, will you be doing any hard-core trails?

sorry to rain on your parade... im not trying to sound like an ass, seriously.

why waist the money for an exo if you dont even have a full interior cage to tie it to??? the above picture (olympic) is not a good cage.. If you roll up on the trails with that crap on your rig, you are seriously going to get lauphed at.

if you dont have anything to tie the exo to then its worthless.

save your money save yourself the embarassment and get something you really need

EDIT: C-roks cage is an OK cage but again

IF YOU DONT TIE YOUR EXO TO YOUR INTERIOR CAGE IT IS WORTHLESS.

IF YOU DONT TIE YOUR EXO TO YOUR INTERIOR CAGE IT IS WORTHLESS.

You could not be more mistaken....if you tie it to the roof with plate on nside and outside 1/8" plate at bend of roof line. do the same on the sides and fenders @ around 24" oc the exo will be fine. thats the way land rover do theirs for 50 years from the factory and the work very well

that cage looks ridiculous with all that tubing but the c-rok cage now that is a nice exo.

xjnation said:
You could not be more mistaken....if you tie it to the roof with plate on nside and outside 1/8" plate at bend of roof line. do the same on the sides and fenders @ around 24" oc the exo will be fine. thats the way land rover do theirs for 50 years from the factory and the work very well

basically you just tied the cage all over the body..... How can i be more mistaken" didnt I just say the cage needs to be tied in?
I guess your right... tie the cage onto sheet metal. I wounder whats gonna happen if you flop over a hill and start rolling. I rather have a solid tie in point than tieing it to the body panels.
olympic and C-rok make EXOs none of them tie into the body, the only thing holding them on is bolts through the bumpers and rockers.

heres a prime example of how MATT tied his. I will be doing this after I get my cage finished next month.
exo24s.jpg

exo25s.jpg

like I said before if your going to put an Exo on your rig with no interior cage, your waising your time.

but then again this will make it esier for you to climb ontop and put your bags on the roof, especially that ladder in the back.:rolleyes:
xjfrtsid.jpg

Careful now...thinking like that here will get you crucified like me . It's generally considered that rolling an XJ with NOTHING is ok, whereas rolling one that has a mild exo using the existing body/frame as re-enforcement will result in immediate death:rolleyes: You also would NEVER want something to help keep the body panels straight

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8965

Last edited:
Karmir... Sure... Im on 32's.... but does the fact that im on 32's limit how hardcore of trails ill attempt? NO!!!

You never know when you can roll, lots of rolls down here where im at are in dirt or mud and Crinkle up the body.. bad....

An internal cage would be good, yeah, but doesnt protect windows or anything like that against flat land (rockless)... the exo would keep the body OFF the ground.. which is what i want...

I was thinking about making a mild exo to protect some of the body on my Jeep. I layed it completely on it's side over the weekend and it dented the roof a bit and mangled my doors. All the doors work and the only thing that broke was the sunroof and side mirror. I'm putting new doors on it this weekend but was thinking...

what if I did an exo that came up from my rockers in front of the drivers side door, followed the a pillar up and then ran along the roof to the hatch where it would come down to a rear bumper I would make. Then, along the roof I tied the tube into where the roof rack mounts into the roof as well as braced it across to the other side. Seems to me this would prevent a lot of the damage I get from trees on our tight trails as well as prevent damage to the roof like I got over the weekend. Any thoughts?

The rack mounts appeared strong in my flop. If it wasn't for them holding so well my roof wouldn't be twisted. My roofrack landed on a rock when it layed over, causing most of the damage.

Img00033.JPG

Ok I guess I look at things a bit differently do whatever you guys like.... its your time and money

Speed_racer said:
Karmir... Sure... Im on 32's.... but does the fact that im on 32's limit how hardcore of trails ill attempt? NO!!!

umm.. yes it directly effects what trails you run

. I didnt see anybody at sludge hammer last month on 30"s or 32"s.... they where all most of the guys where on 37"s + tires and 1 guy had 35"s

Last edited:
erikrs301 said:
That has to be the most ignorant statement I have ever read on this board. (period)

:rolleyes:

you are the ignorant one my friend....

might be ignorant to you but at least I suggested something to the guy / gave my oppinion. to me your post is thee most worthless waist of bandwith. (period)

as you can see Ive posted many illistrations trying to help the guy out. unless you have some sort of tech or suggestion of some sort to give, It would be best if you keep your ignorant comments to yourself.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
racer, thats fine... Im done arguing with the guy. that is fine if you want to proctect your panels thats fine. here in CA its a different world, you soon start not caring for dented panels becuase if you run core trials your bound to get some. every cage ive seen down here are for structure or saftey. might be different down east.

its not my rig so whatever floats his boat is fine with me.

both of yaz knock it off......

karmir, tire size doesn't qualify you or disqualify you from needing a cage.......period.

big tires does not a hardcore wheeler make.

I know plenty of people with 32" tires or less that wheel like hell won't have it, and i know plenty of people with big tires and big lifts who do nothing but drive around watching the smaller guys wheel hard.

no one TRIES to roll

and NOT rolling cannot be controlled.

furthermore, it sounds ridiculous for a non-member to go on saying which posts are a waste of bandwidth.....Naxja members pay for bandwidth, and we'll decide whose posts are inefficient.....

can you dig it?

thanks, i knew you could.

erikrs301 said:
That has to be the most ignorant statement I have ever read on this board. (period)
;)

I'm not a big fan of exo's mainly because of the weight. I think low weight is one of the advantages of wheeling an XJ. There are a few that look pretty good, though. C-Roks comes to mind.

If I were to build one, I would tie into the drip rail, at front, rear and center on each side. Additional tie-ins would be beneficial if they could be designed in.

Then on the inside, rather than building a full internal cage, an "X" behind the rear seat attached with plate to the roof rails would do wonders. Same thing behind the front seats if space would permit. To take it a step further, an upside down "V" at the windshield, tied into the heavy header panel at the base of the windshield would top it off. Most other internal tubing would be redundant and just add weight.

Back