• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No stop lights

rredalty

NAXJA Forum User
99XJ, no stop lights. Hazards work fine, new brake light switch, 12v running into the switch and out... all bulbs are good. Any takers?

More like an open circuit.

Does the 99 have the brake lights go through the flasher?

Your flashers are not the same as the brake lights.. I don't think...Did you test the other bulbs? I think you have running and brake lights in one shocket, then the other is the blinker bulb..

Well, based on 2000 wiring diagrams, which I think are the same as '99. the good news is that there is nothing in the least bit complicated about this system. The brake lights go back directly from the brake light switch to the bulbs to ground. And the ground is common with the tail light ground. So if the tail lights work, it is not the ground. Fuse is #23 in the PDC (box under hood). No relays. White and tan wire from switch all the way back to the lights. Most likely scenario is a broken wire somewhere between the brake switch and the point where the wires split to go the the individual right and left lights. Hard to see both light sockets having a contact issue, but on trailers, I've seen it happen. I'd double check for voltage in the socket with someone holding the brake pedal down (or jump the switch) before I started tracing the wire.

Good info Winterbeater. Does the 99 have the harness run down both sides of the cabin's interior, or is it only down the driver's side and then up and over at the hatch like the earlier XJs?

Back