• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux Reverse Lights... Up High or Down Low?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I want to add an aux. reverse light to the rear of my Jeep. The JCR tire carrier seems to somewhat block the OEM reverse lamps, which has me a bit concerned.

The Aurora lights wont work for me as the tire is in the way, but I was wondering about what is the preferred place to put them.

P2220055.jpg

I was thinking I could put one lamp on the top of the swing arm to the left of the tire, or do two mounted to the roof rack cross bar. Which would throw better for use as a reverse light?

The plan is to wire it up to come on with the reverse lights, as well as for manual control so I can use it as a camp setup light when needed. It will be set up with a relay and a 3 position switch to accomplish this and ensure I don't burn up my Jeep. I'm sure up high would be better for the camp use, but would the lower mount be better as a reverse light (the light's primary purpose)?

Thanks in advance

I had a roofrack on my 4Runner back in the day, and had this same problem. I mounted 2 offroad lights on the back of the roofrack and they worked great as both backup lights and camp lights. But I dont see why a lower mounting job wouldnt work either. Just preference I would say.

DSCF1485.jpg

I thought about using that spot but my plate might make it a clearance issue.

Also what size bolts did you use for the hi-lift?

I thought about using that spot but my plate might make it a clearance issue.

Also what size bolts did you use for the hi-lift?

I moved my plate down and added a light for the plate.

IIRC the bolts I used to mount the highlift are 1/2".

I moved my plate down and added a light for the plate.

IIRC the bolts I used to mount the highlift are 1/2".

Thanks

Did you do anything to "lock" the hi-lift on, I'm kinda scared of it getting jacked. I suppose I could move the plate, but I wired it up for plate lights there.

Thanks

Did you do anything to "lock" the hi-lift on, I'm kinda scared of it getting jacked. I suppose I could move the plate, but I wired it up for plate lights there.

Nope. I store it inside when I'm not wheeling so, security isn't an issue.
I don't even bother to take it with me most of the time anymore.

Up high would work better as a "flood light" to light just about everything behind you up. Down low would give you a profile of the ground. Holes and low spots would be dark because of shadows. I say up high.

what about putting them IN your bumper? recess them back some and if they come with 55W H3 then replace them with the 100W bulbs. if your worried about compermising the strenght of the bumper, use those increadably small fog lights.

what about putting them IN your bumper? recess them back some and if they come with 55W H3 then replace them with the 100W bulbs. if your worried about compermising the strenght of the bumper, use those increadably small fog lights.

I'm not cutting into my brand new bumper.

Thanks

I doubled nuted mine, it is a bitch to get it off...I know they won't just walk away with mine..

Can't you install the lights in the hatch?
Put your lights here too
Funchit.jpg

Last edited:
Go high. Better coverage. You really do not need a three position swithc for the reverse light/override. I can give you the pin out for the circuit if you like. All you will need is a relay and a single pole single throw switch (SPST) Toggle, rocker or whatever, I would suggest an illumanated one.

X2. Go High- better overall illumination and you don't have to worry about smacking them unless you do something really dumb- like back into a tree. I've got mine on the swing away part of the carrier and I used a Painless wiring triple contact door switch to carry power across the interface- no wires bent and unbent every time you open the carrier....

Just to clarify the original question, is this for off-road use only, or are you looking for something you can use on the street to make up for your blocked reverse lights? I don't think some of the above suggestions would be considered street legal if that is in fact your primary intent.

Go high. Better coverage. You really do not need a three position swithc for the reverse light/override. I can give you the pin out for the circuit if you like. All you will need is a relay and a single pole single throw switch (SPST) Toggle, rocker or whatever, I would suggest an illumanated one.

Does this circuit you are referring to provide the options of OFF, ON, or ON only w/ reverse lights? If so, I'd be curious to see it. Thanks.

Yes I would like to use it on the street as well; I drove the Jeep at night today for the first time since the mod, the reverse lights are essentially useless now; not that they were very good to begin with.

100_2895.jpg

I put up higher, and when the spare is on it protects the light pretty good, but on the same not doesn't really block much of the light when illuminated either.

Did a little research

from http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24606.htm
Backup Lamps

24606. (a) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, of a type subject to registration and manufactured on and after January 1, 1969, shall be equipped with one or more backup lamps either separately or in combination with another lamp. Any vehicle may be equipped with backup lamps.
(b) Backup lamps shall be so directed as to project a white light illuminating the highway to the rear of the vehicle for a distance not to exceed 75 feet. A backup lamp may project incidental red, amber, or white light through reflectors or lenses that are adjacent or close to, or a part of, the lamp assembly.
(c) Backup lamps shall not be lighted except when the vehicle is about to be or is backing or except in conjunction with a lighting system which activates the lights for a temporary period after the ignition system is turned off.
(d) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with a lamp emitting white light on each side near or on the rear of the vehicle which is designed to provide supplemental illumination in an area to the side and rear not lighted by the backup lamps. These lamps shall be lighted only with the backup lamps.

Amended Ch. 813, Stats. 1981. Effective January 1, 1982.

Therefore, it sounds like a supplemental reverse light is legal in California, so long as it only can come on when the vehicle is put in reverse.

Solution: Wire it to come on with the backup lights, put the manual switch for camp setup in the rear cargo area; thereby ensuring that the driver couldn't turn the rear light on at will while driving.

Back