• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux Reverse Lights... Up High or Down Low?

Ended up going with a pair of these:

http://www.pilotautomotive.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=27166

Mounted on the swing arm for the spare tire carrier. They look good, don't stand out like a sore thumb, but damn are they bright! I think my reverse lights are better than my headlights now.

Ran out of connectors so I didn't wire up the manual switch yet, but should have that done tonight.

what's the price on those?

$21 bucks for the pair from Pep Boys. Northern Tool has a nice looking pair for $11.99 but add in the shipping and you're at 20 bucks.

I interpret that as it can only come on with the backup lights, not whenever I want it on.

Just wire it up so the reguler reverse light wiring is what trips the relay to activate you supplemental lighting, Ie, it only comes on when the stock back up lights are on. sounds legit.

and for the manual switch, since one is activated by the others, you can tap into the prndl (nss) switch wireing and rig up a switch there, you wont have to run a bunch of wires. connecting two of those wires (dont remember of the top of my head) turns the reverse lights on.

hope this helps

(d) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with a lamp emitting white light on each side near or on the rear of the vehicle which is designed to provide supplemental illumination in an area to the side and rear not lighted by the backup lamps. These lamps shall be lighted only with the backup lamps.
I interpret that as it can only come on with the backup lights, not whenever I want it on.
Really? I read that as the lights shall only be lit up when the backup lamps are. That doesn't say anything about if they are able to be turned on, just that they are not allowed to be turned on without the reverse lamps.

I know I live in Oregon and the weathers great, the trees are green and I have never known why Kansas and Nebraska aren't vacant, but when have any of you ever heard of or seen anyone pulled over for illegal back up lights????
Just put a couple of decent lights wired to R and a couple of really big ones on the roof rack wired to Batt. for camping or in the woods backing up.....put a huge indicator light in the dash for those so you don't frackup....

If we have a code here no one I know ever read it. :dunno:

The only time this "law" would ever be cited would be IF you drive down the road w/ them illuminated.

The indicator light in the dash is a good idea.

You'd be surprised what a-holes the cops out here can be. The lights I chose don't stick out like a sore thumb so I'm not worried about it.

I'll be using a switch like this
plsw26rfull.jpg

to prevent accidental activation.

I know I live in Oregon and the weathers great, the trees are green and I have never known why Kansas and Nebraska aren't vacant, but when have any of you ever heard of or seen anyone pulled over for illegal back up lights????

i've been pulled over for my back up lights. didn't even have em on when i was driving. cop just saw em and said it was illegal, along with the fact that my exhaust sounded like it was comin out of the middle of my car and i had driving lights on the front

I'm rewiring my fogs and putting aux lights in the back too.

I'm using my factory fog light switch.

I've got a couple factory switch panels for my dash that I picked up at the yard.

I was debating using them to give a more factory appearance, but I'm not sure which post does what on these switches. Some of them seem to have 5 or 6 terminals on them. Any idea?

Sorry, I have no idea.

I do know that your fogs will only work with headlights on and brights off. Those other posts are probably for that purpose; but I don't know which post does what.

Can you post a pic of them?

Sorry, I have no idea.

I do know that your fogs will only work with headlights on and brights off. Those other posts are probably for that purpose; but I don't know which post does what.

Can you post a pic of them?

Maybe.. gotta find them when I get home tonight.

Alright. Maybe someone will chime in here and tell you what's what. Surprised the electrical gurus aren't here yet....

Found THIS POST if it helps.

Last edited:
i've been pulled over for my back up lights. didn't even have em on when i was driving. cop just saw em and said it was illegal, along with the fact that my exhaust sounded like it was comin out of the middle of my car and i had driving lights on the front

Evidently Connecticut police don't have enough to do.....another good reason to move to Oregon ( last time I head of someone getting stopped for mud flaps was 10 years ago) Did I mention the spring flowers are blooming, the lawns are green and the trees are starting to get leaves and fruit blossoms?

O yeah...almost forgot..more micro breweries than any other state, no sales tax............:D

Evidently Connecticut police don't have enough to do.....another good reason to move to Oregon ( last time I head of someone getting stopped for mud flaps was 10 years ago) Did I mention the spring flowers are blooming, the lawns are green and the trees are starting to get leaves and fruit blossoms?

O yeah...almost forgot..more micro breweries than any other state, no sales tax............:D

Yeah, but I've seen the women up there. I'll stay in So Cal.

Wow...I have never seen a thread as long as this made up of wondering if you'll be pulled over for lights that aren't turned on! Man, I'm glad I don't live in Cali!

Back