• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front and rear axle swap help

rhinoron713

NAXJA Forum User
well I don't think that my front d30 disco will hold up to the 32's on it for long ..same with the rear d35 both are open diffs so before i throw money away on lockers and shorten the lifespan on these axles I want to swap them out with the best but cheap and reliable axle( if that is possible ) yet try to maintain the stock width!! what year and model of vehical can i look for and what is a resonable price?????

with lockers????

Yeah, I have a Aussie in my D30 disco with 32s and have had no problems :D. (worked great in Moab!) I'd upgrade the D35 though.

The D-30 will hold up just fine to 32's and a locker! I beat the he## out of mine on 32's and I'm now on 35's and plan on upgrading the shafts to Longfields and trussing the axle. I like the ground clearance that the D-30 gives me and I'm fairly easy on the throttle "most" of the time!

I would switch the 2 piece shaft out for a one piece and make the changes to the seal(s). When you switch the shafts get some of the 96+ shafts with the 297x U-joints for more strength.

The disco housing is (marginally) stronger than the non disco housing.

Find a 29 spline 8.25 for the rear and add some alloy shafts/locker and have fun, I haven't killed mine yet.

Non disconnect D30 and a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25. Completely bolt in, and will be more than strong enough for 32's locked. I ran this combo when I had 32's, and never any problems.

what year did these axles come in ??? the non-disco and the 29 spline chrysler 8.25 to be exact!!!:anon:

29 spline 8.25 97 and up and some 96 1/2.

non disco 90/91 and up and the stronger u-joint axle i believe is 95 and up.

what gearing do you plan on running?

Grand Wagoneer axles, D44s to be exact, are way overkill for 32"s. Not to mention the fab work that will be needed, especially on the front axle, to set them up to fit under the Jeep.

Honestly, I would go and get the D30 out of a '95(going by 89xj's word)-'99 Jeep Cherokee. High pinion, non disconnect, and the stronger 297 u-joints.

A 29 spline 8.25 is comprable in strength to a D44, and will be directly bolt in, rather than having to weld on new spring perches.

You are only running 32" tires.

i would read this sticky first and do some searching, there are tons of threads on axle swaps.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80707

could upgrade shafts and ujoints for the d30 if running 32's, d30 with upgraded shafts, ujoints, gussets/truss, should be able to handle 35's

what ytpe of wheeling do you do? rockcrawling

I HEAR A LOT ABOUT " WAGGY 44'S " I KNOW THESE ARE OUT OF A WAGONEER ...RIGHT? BUT WHAT YEAR SHOULD I LOOK FOR ????

did you bother reading the sticky i posted?

YES i read the sticky but i was just unclear about what "wagoneer " bcuz i see some xj's with the wagoneer tag on the side of the fenders and thought that this was the one with the 44's ....sorry for asking !!!!!:worship:

"Waggy" axles are from a full size Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Not XJ Wagoneer.

Grand Wagoneer axles, D44s to be exact, are way overkill for 32"s. Not to mention the fab work that will be needed, especially on the front axle, to set them up to fit under the Jeep.

Back