• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 possible to flip??

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
So this might sound crazy, but in theory could you take a low pinion 44 with the pumkin on the passenger side (say from a wagoneer) and flip it upside down to the driver side, then stuff reverse cut gears in it and have a high pinion 44 for my xj?

NO! primarily, the issue is that there is no oil sump on the "top" of a low-pinion axle to provide lubrication to the pinion gear if rotated to the top... someone will now post up about it going backwards or something, but I have never been bright enough to quite get that argument.:doh:

Not unless you like 4 reverse speeds!

It wouldn't spin backwards if you got reverse cut gears though. The only argument i could understand is the oil sump problem..

and also i'm talking sbout a front axle here, not a rear.

Um, what?

It wouldn't spin backwards if you got reverse cut gears though. The only argument i could understand is the oil sump problem..

Reverse cut gears have nothing to do with the direction they are spinning. It's reverse cut not reverse rotation. If you flip the axle over, the gears are now turning backwards, ie. reverse.....................;)

Doesn't matter - the housing is designed to run (lubricating the gears and bearings properly) one way up - if you turn it the other way, you can expect to munch bearings like popcorn at the very least (the ring gear dips into the oil, so it's probably going to be lubricated. But, oil won't stay on the bearings long enough to do any good.)

I figure this comes up about once a year or so.

And "reverse cut" gears aren't going to change the direction in which the axle operates. What it means is that the spiral of the gear teeth is cut in the other direction - which allows the gear teeth to make contact on the "strong side" of the tooth, instead of the weaker side. This is why a high pinion front is high pinion - a low pinion, as I recall, uses a standard-cut gearset (same as you'd find in a rear axle.)

Front or rear, it don't matter. The housings (save the pinion location) are the same for the cast centre portion - they have to be. The main difference is about three vertical inches between a "high" and "low" pinion, for most axles (for the Ford 9", it's a shade over four - but the 9" has a greater hypoid offset.)

i would love to see a video of someone that flipped their front end the second they put it in 4WD. I wonder if something would blow up first or if it would just stay in place fighting itself?

i would bet it would stay in place fighting itself, the tcase would blow up, or the wheels with more traction would take over. what would be even funnier is if the axles had different gears in them hehe.:explosion

Anyone know what the problems would be.
Just cuorios.
the geometry of the hypoid is different. it'd be like trying to jam a square into a round hole.

Heres the deal(forget about oiling and gear cuts)!Whether the axle is HP or LP,the ring gear is always on the same side of the pinion.Flip a housing puts the ring on the other side of the pinion,thus changing rotation.

This is totally feasible actually...

You just have to flip the rear axle too, and order a rear engine kit for a Cherokee. I think I saw one on ebay last week. You may have to cut the floor in the cargo area though
dunno.gif

Billy

You just have to flip the rear axle too, and order a rear engine kit for a Cherokee. I think I saw one on ebay last week. You may have to cut the floor in the cargo area though
dunno.gif

Billy

I just did that last week! Took me 1/2 hour including taking an hour long beer run.

dunno.gif

Billy
Its alot easier to just turn the body around,flexes great,leaves in front,coils in the rear,and rear steer!!!!!

Back