• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Redwoods?

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
So the family and I are driving out to San Francisco to move to Hawaii and we'd like to see some of the sights. We'd like to check out Redwood National Forest, but that's another 5 hours north of San Francisco it looks like. I also noticed on the map that US 1 looks to have similar Redwood forests. Is it worth it to drive all the way up to Eureka to see the National Park or are the forests south of San Francisco just as good?

Head North on 101 to Avenue of the Giants if you have the time (about 3 hrs out of SF). If not then just hop over to Muir Woods in Marin County, while there you can also hike on Mt. Tamalpias and see some incredible views of the Bay Area and ocean, it's less than 45 minutes out of SF. I'm a native of the area and know lot's of great places to see while here.

You may try posting this question in the sierra chapter. All we have down here are deadwoods. :D

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure where SF and Redwoods fell into as far as chapters go.

Our plan is to spend the night in Oxnard, get up in the morning, take all day driving up US 1 to San Francisco, spend the night in SF, do alcatraz in the morning and drive up to Eureka, spend the night, drive around Redwood NF and then drive back to SF and then we're out.

Hmmmmm.....and miss out on Yosemite?

:dunno:

Maybe he wants to hit Big Sur coast??

I agree though, Yosemite is definately worth seeing if you haven't been, and you can see planty of giant redwoods in Sequioa NP if you want to see the giant trees.

I'd love to, but we just don't have the time. I'll be back though and Yosemite is definately on the list....just not this time. I'll go back there when I have time to rock climb some, time to hike, mtn bike, that sort of thing. This time we're only driving around, walking with a stroller, and just seeing.

We might do that and that's what I was wondering. I mean, trees are trees, right? Or are we missing out by not going up there to see the "real" redwood forest?

We might do that and that's what I was wondering. I mean, trees are trees, right? Or are we missing out by not going up there to see the "real" redwood forest?

no..... it's something that's hard to explain but believe me: if you enjoy nature, when you get to redwoods you're going to go: DAMN it was worth it after all.

There is also Big Basin Redwood state park. Just north of Santa Cruz, and around an hour south of Frisco.

Back