• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bearing noise

lonecountryboy

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ just started to make this really horrible squealing noise from the front. I removed the serpetine belt to check all the moveable parts and found the bearing that the mechanical fan bolts to is bad. So I took off the bracket since the AC compressor bolts onto it and looked at it. It looks like it is a press out press in but when I took it to the local parts store they did not have any part numbers for it. The dealer sells you the whole bracket for $156 and they only have one on the west coast. So I did a little lookin in the boneyards and found one but it is just as bad as the one I have. So my question is has anybody replaced this particular bearing and if so what is the part number and where can I find a replacement? I find it hard to believe that this item has never gone bad and they don't make a replacement for it but I have seen stranger things.

You may want to start with what year XJ, engine, etc...

What you are describing sounds like the fan clutch to me, but I'm going by what I have seen on my 98. A fan clutch can be bought at any common auto supply store.

sorry 88 XJ limited 4.0l. Not the fan clutch replaced it already. The piece that the fan bolts to has the problem. The bearing is worn out and you can feel it grinding and making noise when you turn it by hand. So nobody has ever replaced this particular bearing? Or does everybody do the quick and easy and go buy a junkyard replacement bracket with a good bearing in it?

No the fan clutch and fan mount onto this. There is a shaft and a bearing that are pressed into the AC mounting bracket. That bearing is out. Anybody have a replacement bearing or part # ?

Back