• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater

cjd_1986

NAXJA Forum User
Had a friend the other day say that he feels sick when he gets in my ride and never feels this way in other rides. No it's not the driving :p. But anyway he said its only when I turn the heater on. That would make me think exhaust, carbon monoxide maybe. I never notice it, don't smell it and I can smell that stuff cause I had a gas stove leak once that was so minor nobody could smell it but me. Anyway I checked my whole exhaust and nothing's cracked. I mean sure there's that bent downpipe coming off the header but its fine. This sickness isn't like idling with the windows closed of course that will build up in your vehicle. This is happening while driving. Somebody said maybe a bad heater. I feel fine though never had problems driving or sitting unless I'm like right behind riding somebodies bumper or sitting at a 5 min light but then I crack the windows. He's complaining when were driving and nobodies around lol.

Anybody heard of this issue or had it happen? I'm not gonna worry mainly cause I drive it every day and never have had problems. I told him anyway monoxide causes you to get sleepy and a bad headache usually you don't feel sick. That's why heater makes more sense maybe its just putting some sort of odor. He could be smelling the burning smell outside the vehicle from something burning up basically the oil missing the pan and hitting the metal underneath and that doesn't always smell or happen. But I never smell it come through the vents. The heat doesn't even have any smell to it unless like I said before if I'm behind someone of course it smells like exhaust. But he's feeling sick when were just crusing on the road with no one around.

Never heard of getting your heater serviced or inspected, only replaced. Unlike A/C where u get it checked and freon added, check the hoses and compressor.

Just wondering in the '99 XJ does it even have its own separate heater unit or since Jeep kept the Cherokees old school (u know the knob that turns on/off the headlights found on old cars but is on every Cherokee) do they just have like older cars where the heater just takes heat from the engine?

Last edited:
Is your heatercore leaking?
check the carpet on the passenger side floor, see if its wet/damp.
Could be he has a reaction to the smell of antifreeze.

Back