• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear D44 axle shaft lengths

joshv98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I didn't realize until reading a few other posts that the shafts in my D44 are different lengths... I even had them out and sitting next to each other to have new bearings pressed and I didn't notice it. Here's my situation. I put the axles back in and bolted it all up before I knew there was any difference in length, and I didn't have any trouble bolting it all up. Is the length difference significant enough (like in an 8.8) that the axle shaft would interfere with the cross pin in the spider gears while I was bolting it together, or could I have inadvertantly switched shafts without even knowing it? I'm wondering because I just got it all bolted back up under my XJ, it's still on jackstands without any wheels, but I don't really want to drain the fluid and take it all apart. Thanks in advance.

If you can spin both shafts with it bolted together, you have them the right way. If one is binding.....you got it wrong!

29.25 and 29.75

Unless you used a 1/2 inpact to bolt them up, there is no way you got them mixed up. you woulld have been pushing against the cross pin if you had it wrong.

Back