• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Seat

XJCasper

NAXJA Member #1042
Has anyone switched a newer XJ seat into an older model?

I am going 2000 XJ seats into my 96. I am searching to find out if the rear seat out of a 2000 Cherokee would fit in my 96.

Found a nice two door XJ that has newer seats. Would the Sheetmetal be similar enough to pull those rear seats?\

Thanks
Jason

Not trying to hijack but wouldn't they also fit in a 91 since the 91-96 models where the same?

Do a search for more details. I recall seeing a couple of different threads that included good details and pics. As I recall, the newer reat seat fit, but required some trimming of the plastic seat base and reattachment of the upholstery, and then fabbing of a bracket to mount the mechanism for the 60/40 split (if yours is so equipped).

The body style change came in 97, but it seems that alot of un-noticable changes took place in the year of 96. I have had to get some sensors off of 97's.

Jason

What Rd said:
As I recall, the newer rear seat fit, but required some trimming of the plastic seat base and reattachment of the upholstery, and then fabbing of a bracket to mount the mechanism for the 60/40 split .

Aren't you confusing a Grand Cherokee seat swap with an XJ seat exchange ?

Cfunnk said:
2000 to 96 fit, they have the same type of mounts on the floor and the same brackets on the seats

I agree.

you are good with any seat from late 94 early 95 to 2001, they made the floor change somewhere in there. and from that point on front seats are all interchangeable, and the rear seats will work from 84-01. i've had the back seat from my 85 in my 96 and the 96 is the exact same seat at whats in my 99

the rear seat should be the same for all years, its the front that is different pre 95.5 and 95.5 to 2001 should be the same for the front

Back