• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can i just remove this

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 5.5" RE lift with 33" x-terrains on my 96. im rired of the rubbing when im flexed. i wanna go cut the front fenders and those plasic wheel well covers are hanging out i already took off the flares can i just rip out those plasic wheel wells? im worried about noise and air doing weird things on the highway and mud getting stuck up there anyone done this???

why stop with the plastic?

STA72116.jpg

:laugh3:

yes you can remove them, mud and dirt will get in there and its a lil more annoying to get it all out, but aside from that, you wont notice

While we are on that topic i wanted to remove my doors but cant find a low clearance torx to do it with what brand or type should i look for I have a 2 door

kenny schmitt said:
While we are on that topic i wanted to remove my doors but cant find a low clearance torx to do it with what brand or type should i look for I have a 2 door

1/4" wratchet wrench with torx bit has worked for me. I have since drilled out the pins and put in ball-bearing pins for easy removal

ZacSquatch said:
1/4" wratchet wrench with torx bit has worked for me. I have since drilled out the pins and put in ball-bearing pins for easy removal

WTF is a ball bearing pin? I'd like to make mine removable as well and don't want to have to line em up everytime...

kenny schmitt said:
i have a 5.5" RE lift with 33" x-terrains on my 96. im rired of the rubbing when im flexed. i wanna go cut the front fenders and those plasic wheel well covers are hanging out i already took off the flares can i just rip out those plasic wheel wells? im worried about noise and air doing weird things on the highway and mud getting stuck up there anyone done this???

do you have extended bump stops?

lowrange2 said:
WTF is a ball bearing pin? I'd like to make mine removable as well and don't want to have to line em up everytime...

They look like this.... and no thats not a Unick.

pin.jpg

Drill out the pin... insert these... never have to line up a door again.

ZacSquatch said:
They look like this.... and no thats not a Unick.

pin.jpg

Drill out the pin... insert these... never have to line up a door again.
how do you not need to line up the door?, no matter how you do this mod, the door needs to be lined up

DSC02091.jpg

why not just keep the stock pin?

also if you drill the pin out rather then tapping it out with hammer (the proper way) your wasting time

Last edited:
I've removed the plastic fenderwall lining without ill effects. Yes, your front door hinges will get dirty. Although you can engineer up some type of cover inside the fender so the front hinges don't get dirty.

I don't really like removing the front fenders. I'd rather trim. For me anyway, it doesn't look like an XJ without the fenders. Especially with the primer color underneath them on the inner fender walls :(

cox_xj said:
how do you not need to line up the door?, no matter how you do this mod, the door needs to be lined up

DSC02091.jpg

why not just keep the stock pin?

also if you drill the pin out rather then tapping it out with hammer (the proper way) your wasting time

Thats a negatory ghost rider.... I've had that setup for a year, taken doors on/off a dozen times... to adjustments, nothing... as long as the pin is tight and not wallowed out.. F*cker stays straight.

If you chop off the bottum tab, thats puts all the weight on just one, and that can make your screws settle in a cockeyed direction opposed to staying straigh vertical if you have both taps equally distributing weight.. but hey, might stay.

ZacSquatch said:
Thats a negatory ghost rider.... I've had that setup for a year, taken doors on/off a dozen times... to adjustments, nothing... as long as the pin is tight and not wallowed out.. F*cker stays straight.

If you chop off the bottum tab, thats puts all the weight on just one, and that can make your screws settle in a cockeyed direction opposed to staying straigh vertical if you have both taps equally distributing weight.. but hey, might stay.

both my upper and lower pins are like the one i posted, i didn't unbolt my hinge when doing the mod so the alignment was not altered

cox_xj said:
both my upper and lower pins are like the one i posted, i didn't unbolt my hinge when doing the mod so the alignment was not altered

me either... thus same system, different pins.

I unhook it at the kick but I need to make a master wire clip at the door.

Back