• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comache long door extra cab

Wil Badger

NAXJA Forum User
i started a thread in Intermountain but i figured i share with everybody

a little while ago i was given a 90 2 door Cherokee.since i want something to wheel and i sold the Tj tub, i figured i had a lot of left over parts from the last Cherokee.time to build another one.this one with a twist,i happened to have a Comanche cab well the back wall section.i've always wanted to make a 2 door with a Comanche rear section but i have the dog with me and sometimes a passenger. this means i need a rear seat for him.so.........................
p1010734eu4.jpg

p1010737xb8.jpg

gets some surgery

p1010746ln3.jpg

a quick line up

pa110749qn7.jpg

after some trimming

pa140763de6.jpg

pa140765hh9.jpg

some more fitting and finishing(still have plenty left)

pa140775lw5.jpg

pa140777cv6.jpg

pa140778co0.jpg

a photochop of what the finial project should look like

chopshopped2wr5.jpg

i still have to do plenty of fitting and grinding before i can go into welding but it's going pretty good for all of the 4 hours i have into it so far.

i will be looking to completely remove the rear bed section in favor of some tubing and skins .so i might look for another rear section before welding this one in.this way i will get the back wall section from the floor to the roof to fully finish the back off.

dam that looks good ,the back section looks like it fits nice and tight .

Wil Badger said:
i will be looking to completely remove the rear bed section in favor of some tubing and skins .so i might look for another rear section before welding this one in.this way i will get the back wall section from the floor to the roof to fully finish the back off.

That would be fantastic. Chop I did earlier this year I think.

ExStretch.jpg

My Favorite

Cal-WBG.jpg

No one has completely made a 2 door into a Comanche yet, I'd love to see it. I'll be watching this one for sure.........:thumbup:

i like the Comanches but with the short door and no room to slide the seat back i can't fit in one.i've always wanted the longer door and maybe the rear seat.then i saw these exact pictures in a thread about a year or so ago.i liked the extra cab one so i gave it a shot.i left just enough to get the bottom of the back seat in .i'll finish off the rear wall with a carpeted piece and the sides will just get the original interior pieces cut down of course.

with the rear bed i'm going to go for a look like what Ashman did
Ashman.jpg

I'm liking it....use comanche bedrails and back ends to fit in comanche tail lights and maybe lengthen out the "bed"...

:D

Wow I LOVE IT!!!!! I had a comanche and I have an XJ which I love but Ive always wanted a truck with the seating of the XJ and that would be perfect. Too bad DaimlerChrysler discontinued the Comanche to focus more on the Dakota and didn't see the great opportunity they could have had with the Comanche.

I was wondering if I would ever run into the photochop wizard that created this:
CrewCab.jpg

A buddy of mine sent me this pic when I found my Comanche

xjlander said:
I was wondering if I would ever run into the photochop wizard that created this:
CrewCab.jpg

A buddy of mine sent me this pic when I found my Comanche

Supose you could actually buy one with 4 doors... If you widened it and ran the early Chrokee Chief gear, with the 401, Quadra-trac, Dana 60's... All these new "Super Duty" guys would just be baffled.

I like that thought.:laugh:

Gyro said:
Supose you could actually buy one with 4 doors... If you widened it and ran the early Chrokee Chief gear, with the 401, Quadra-trac, Dana 60's... All these new "Super Duty" guys would just be baffled.

I'd just do a crew cab J truck if I were doing it on an FSJ frame.

well i went out to one of the junkyards on a tip that they had two MJs in the yard.well they did so i found one and got to work

pa150782yo8.jpg

pa150780xa2.jpg

so now i can just cut off the whole rear section and use the Comanche rear half to finish it back off.

Gyro said:

You wouldn't need to widen it at all. 360s have been swapped in before and a local member here has the 401 in his MJ. You could run all of that gear in the truck. You'd just have to fab up that 4 door, and basically build the truck you see. Which has been done as well, just with a long bed. So it's not very practical. I have a picture of it, but am not trying to take away from Will's thread here.

Wil Badger said:
so now i can just cut off the whole rear section and use the Comanche rear half to finish it back off.

Now thats what I'm talkin' about Will, go nuts man.................:cheers:

i mean what i really wanted from the start was a long door extended cab.just the cab.no front clip from the firewall forward ,no rear clip from the cab back.i want to make a full frame then bolt the cab to that.make an exo cage to protect it the best that i can .as for pieces that can be replaced like the doors or front fenders what ever they can be unbolted and replaced.

Ben824 said:
Wow I LOVE IT!!!!! I had a comanche and I have an XJ which I love but Ive always wanted a truck with the seating of the XJ and that would be perfect. Too bad DaimlerChrysler discontinued the Comanche to focus more on the Dakota and didn't see the great opportunity they could have had with the Comanche.

My thoughts exactly. Here is a quote from motortrend from Jim Press (former Toyota CEO)"Jeep is a bulletproof brand. Jeep is about capability off-road, so there should be less using the Jeep brand name to pass off less-than-Jeep product."

xjlander said:
My version:
cabsection002.jpg

now mines different

my truck seems to be on the Oprah diet.it loses weight then puts it right back on

pa160789pt0.jpg

pa160790yd7.jpg

so now i need to remove the back axle and finish trimming up the cab and back of the Xj to make them match up.

Back