• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Dexcron Oil to buy for AW4

rav

NAXJA Forum User
I was at wallyworld, and they had valvoline one with Dexcron/ Mercuron III, IV and V, do you guys use this one or get something else, this is for my 95 XJ with an AW4. I thought it said it was synthetic based, i am a little confused now as there are threads here that tell you to avoid the synthetic one.

Thanks,
Ravi

NON-synthetic. A search will indicate that many have reported problems from slippage to outright failure, apparently resulting from the use of SYN in the AW4.

The Valvoline non-syn DexronIII/Mercon in the blue bottle should be fine...

Search, again, and you will find the simple method of flushing described wherein the trans cooler return line is disconnected up front and fluid poured into the trans as the engine is idled and the fluid is expelled into a large basin from the line. Definitely worthwhile to do a full flush/change...

I know of a few people who use Amsoil Syn ATF in their AW4 with no problems at all.....

It is getting harder to find the old DexIII any chance they are going to stop making it?

I've heard some have no problem with Syn, ATF+3 or ATF+4.... but I know first person the ATF+3 caused problems on my XJ's AW4. Changed back to DIII and all is well. That's how I saved my Trans from a Rebuild.

Lot's of info if you search. The AW4 is a Toyota Trans.

I was referring to Synthetic Fluid that is DexIII/Merc compatible. NEVER put ATF+3 or +4 in an AW4!!!!!!!!

Damn ,everything around here is now generic dex 2/3/4/ ford/GM /most foriegn cars from a company Ive never heard of. Must be some good stuff. I can find actual Dex3 anywhere.

dyna said:
Damn ,everything around here is now generic dex 2/3/4/ ford/GM /most foriegn cars from a company Ive never heard of. Must be some good stuff. I can find actual Dex3 anywhere.

Thats just how it was when i went looking for one:banghead:

ravi

go to the dealer,pay a litle more and a lot less later,you know ur gettin the right stuff!for example there isn't a coolant out there compatible with a 96+ subaru boxer engine yet except for oem coolant! But any store will sell you stuff that "works in everything out there"!

If im not mistaken its considered illegal for a company to force you to use a same company produced specific part or fluid type unless that product is produced and avaliable somehwere else besides the stealer. Kinda like the sticker on the NV 4500 trans in my Dodge trucks that said ALL warranty is void unless Castrol syntorq trans lube is used. Of course the D/C dealer sells it for $32 a quart, chevy dealers for their NV4500 equipted trucks $28 a quart, or a few trans shops for $50 a gallon.

It just takes the aftermarket a little while to catch up! Subaru has introduced a coolant to prevent external cylinder head gasket leaks. in most 99-current 2.5l engines , coolant weeping occurs externally from the cylinder head gaskets.This is considered normal as the engine is all aluminum and the head gasket is a laminated steel gasket.They just have a coolant that prevents it and stops it in most cases. Kinda like subaru atf hp for use in 05+ models and toyota t4 for use in most 02 and newer applications. They all have there weird crap that works best! They had honda's that required 5w20 or something like that that wasn't yet available in bulk for the local dealers so the price of the individually bottled stuff was passed on to the customers until it became readily available.

I usually buy the Chevron Mercon/Dexron III at Costco-box of a dozen.

Back