• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch bumper attempt.

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
I started cutting some parts out on the laser to try some test fitting. This is what i got. The "Jeep" will go in the bottom side angled down a lil. Design curtousy of Skychi. Gotta give credit where credit is due.
Sorry the images are so big. 3/16 all over, double 3/8 for the winch mount plate and bumper brackets and an ass of 3/16 gussets... I plan on extending the bumper brackets on out the front of the bumper to double as shackle mounts (Per Skichi's original design) Also incorporate some more frame stiffiners and steering box brace while im at it. I think after i bend it all up with the Press and weld it together with the 2" rerciever hitch in the front it will be fairly low profile. What do you guys think so far. bash away!
S5300002.jpg

S5300003.jpg

Wil do. I'm thinkin I'll like it since it seems like it will be very low profile. No more then 8 inchs from front to back in the center. and 6 inchs tall at the tallest point.

Looks like a bunch of scrap metal right now.

i like the cut out, it was my secret ambiton to have somthting like that when i built mine, unfortunetly at school we werent allowed to use the cnc stuff.

o4petesake said:
ship me the prototype and I'll check for fit and usability and report back to you

Ill have it packaged and on the way in a week or so. :)

jeeperjohn said:
That jeep cutout would look cool with some kind of backlighting or LED's in it.

Yeah i Had something like that in mind but i haven't decided how to seal it up... plus im not gunna tacky it up... i just figured i'd paint a piece of metal the color of my choice and tack it to the back of that piece so it would be inset in what ever color i like. Or i could go a lil more and make a small box slightly bigger than the "Jeep" and weld it to the back and put lights in it. with a piece of plexi against the back of the "Jeep". Sorry thats kinda hard to follow but i know what i meant. Thats whats important. :)

buzzbombxj said:
i like the cut out, it was my secret ambiton to have somthting like that when i built mine, unfortunetly at school we werent allowed to use the cnc stuff.

Yeah, tha fact that i have (3) $100,000 laser cutters and a plasma table at my disposal and access to as much scrap metal as i want for free, makes for a hell of a winch bumper project. My girlfriend recently saw that i was workin ona bumper and now she's on my back about wanting me to make one for her 99Grand Cherokee. She wants me to make it look exactly like the ARB winch bumper! Yeah right! If those were that easy to make id be rolling those suckers of the assembly line at $835.95 a piece just like ARB manages to do...

Dude, is that a mis-print or are you really making the winch mounting plate 3/4" thick? ( double 3/8" ) Most manufacturers use 1/4" or 3/8"

Design looks good,...

myxjrocks - "i think he's doubling up the 3/16" to get 3/8". i THINK."

I hate to think. It makes my head hurt so much. Thats why I asked.

Back