• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Bearing Stuck

BBeach

NAXJA Forum User
Im replacing the passenger side wheel bearing because its bad and I cant get it off. I have the vehicle in 4wd with the driver side on the ground which is what ive read from a writeup somewhere. When I did the ujoint on the driver side, i put the brakes on and had my brother hold the pedal to the floor. However, this one is on there pretty good and I broke 3 1/2" drive 18" breaker bars from auto zone (lifetime warranty) till I bought a 3/4" break with a 1 7/16" socket. I used a 36mm before with 12pt but am using 1 7/16" with the 3/4" and had no luck. I slid a thick pipe and was maybe 2 feet from the center with myself and a friend pushing down all the way and the entire hub would move maybe a 1/4 rev, however, the nut didnt "break" so I dont want to break anything inside my transfer case or wherever. As far as impact, I dont have it nor do i think it would break something with maybe 700+lbft on there. As far as heat, my propane torch has been acting up because I believe the "regulator" or whatever you call it has a leak. Any ideas on what to do? Im gonna put some more pb blaster on tonight and then have my friend bring his torch over tomorrow, and if need be put the brakes back on as well as keep it in 4wd, my main question though is am i going to break anything that shouldnt be broken?

Honestly its not so much the torque that helps with the impact wrench, its the jittering that breaks em free. Id agree to let PB blaster sit on it for a day or something, just soak it and let it sit for a while, then go at it again.

BBeach said:
Im replacing the passenger side wheel bearing because its bad and I cant get it off. I have the vehicle in 4wd with the driver side on the ground which is what ive read from a writeup somewhere. When I did the ujoint on the driver side, i put the brakes on and had my brother hold the pedal to the floor. However, this one is on there pretty good and I broke 3 1/2" drive 18" breaker bars from auto zone (lifetime warranty) till I bought a 3/4" break with a 1 7/16" socket. I used a 36mm before with 12pt but am using 1 7/16" with the 3/4" and had no luck. I slid a thick pipe and was maybe 2 feet from the center with myself and a friend pushing down all the way and the entire hub would move maybe a 1/4 rev, however, the nut didnt "break" so I dont want to break anything inside my transfer case or wherever. As far as impact, I dont have it nor do i think it would break something with maybe 700+lbft on there. As far as heat, my propane torch has been acting up because I believe the "regulator" or whatever you call it has a leak. Any ideas on what to do? Im gonna put some more pb blaster on tonight and then have my friend bring his torch over tomorrow, and if need be put the brakes back on as well as keep it in 4wd, my main question though is am i going to break anything that shouldnt be broken?

A real breaker bar and a long pipe and stand on it. I do it all the time

rockwerks said:
A real breaker bar and a long pipe and stand on it. I do it all the time
Well I did with my friend get it moving, but it rotated everything so im not sure if something in the tcase is gettin chewed or what, thats the last thing i need.

There's no reason to have 4x4 engaged. I stuck a craftsman screwdriver in the axle u-joint ears(to stop it from spinning) and just used a breaker bar with some pb blaster and it wasn't that bad.

Is it in 4wd?

PB, heat the crap outa it (propane will work fine), and then put roughlly a 6 ft cheater bar on it and go to town. use more of an impact type load when you use the cheater bar, it should come off.

if you have to wait, just bring it down to my place when you get back to worcester, ill get it off in short time

or for around 20 bucks should be able to rent a 3/4 drive electric impact and socket, or even a 1 inch drive. Sometimes its just better to suck it up and get the right tool.

Midnight Krawler said:
Why don't you just pull the shaft out and take it to a local mechanic and have it removed. A big impact gun will pop it right off.

have someone smack the socket end with a hammer when you are standng on a long breaker bar redneck impact wrench

BBeach said:
Well I did with my friend get it moving, but it rotated everything so im not sure if something in the tcase is gettin chewed or what, thats the last thing i need.

the vehicle needs to be on the ground with the wheel on the rig. use the weight of the rig to hold it all in place. I loosen those nuts before the wheel ever gets taken off. or goes up on the jack stands
and trust me there is no way in hell you are going to hurt the TC with the amount of force you can put on it. far less than the rig on a trail

that can help, but its not totally necessary....you should be able to just hold the brakes, or if you have a front locker and put it in 4wheel the other tire on the ground

Back