• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats the point of the reverse torx bolts????

muchos189

NAXJA Forum User
I Pulled my engine tonite and had no problems or big surprises untill it was time to take the bellhousing bolts out. All was well except for the top 2 bolts. For some reasen they were reverse torx (which I didn't have a socket for) and I had to resort to using a cutoff wheel to cut the heads off the bolts to get the motor out.

BOO to reverse torx bolts :explosion

those things freakin suck!!!!! i was pulling the motor i have now out of a jeep in some nice nieghborhood and those SOBs held me up for about an hour.

E12 socket - or some 12-point dingus will work (I don't recall what size...)

Good news - they're threaded 3/8"-16, so take one to your local hardware store, match the length under the head, and replace with hex heads (socket heads would be a bit much, unless you've got a good "shorty" socket/bit for them. I'd thought about it a while ago, but didn't feel like relieving the firewall to give useful clearance...)

The pupose of Torx products is to make it easy for a machine to hold a screw or bolt straight, without some fingers to hold it straight. Try it on your air ratchet.
Because of the sharper angles, it's less likely to round out than an Allen bolt. "Reverse" Torx can accept a lot of torque, and are used on larger fasteners.
Torx serves the automated assembly line, not the DIY market.

By the way, why not just get the right tools, then you can enjoy the advantage too?

I changed to motor on my 87 wagoneer. The best I could figure is, you can put the bolt in an E12 socket, then with then tranny crossmember lowered, you can use about 2-3ft of extentions and the bolt will stay in the socket.
Mine went right in. A lot less work than trying to get your arm in there to start the bolts by hand.

Jim Mesthene said:
The pupose of Torx products is to make it easy for a machine to hold a screw or bolt straight, without some fingers to hold it straight. Try it on your air ratchet.
Because of the sharper angles, it's less likely to round out than an Allen bolt. "Reverse" Torx can accept a lot of torque, and are used on larger fasteners.
Torx serves the automated assembly line, not the DIY market.

By the way, why not just get the right tools, then you can enjoy the advantage too?

I have a very respectable tool set. It was after 10pm and I had the shop lined up to take the motor at 9am the next morning or else i would have waited till the next day. Belive me I will now add a full set of reverse torx sockets to the collection

muchos189 said:
I have a very respectable tool set. It was after 10pm and I had the shop lined up to take the motor at 9am the next morning or else i would have waited till the next day. Belive me I will now add a full set of reverse torx sockets to the collection

Lisle tools makes a nice set that you should be able to find at Sears for a few bucks - check there first.

I used cut-down extra bell-housing bolts. I have learned over the years that one of the most useful, cost-effiecent and time saving mods. that I can make to just about anything is to throw out the B.S. fasteners and use regular style hardware, regardless of metric or S.A.E.. Keeps me from having to go and buy, or worse yet, remember where I put, all of the "special" tools.

i think they were actually easier to get out with the engine still in, since the socket grasped them a lot easier and didn't slip off like a normal bolt, but i also had the right tool for the job. lining the trans back up with a motorcycle jack was a different story though.... never again

ya those bolts caused me to lose feeling in my left flipper finger when i got the last one out the tranny slammed against firewall causing a burst of blood the garnered me 5 stitches...i know it was my fault but hey in a time of pain and discomfort ill blame the "bleep" so called bolts

I seem to remember the name Captain Beefheart...but i'm damned if I can remember a single thing about any of his music:wow: ...maybe it has something to do with the 70's and and particularly aromatic herbs.

MudDawg said:
I seem to remember the name Captain Beefheart...but i'm damned if I can remember a single thing about any of his music:wow: ...maybe it has something to do with the 70's and and particularly aromatic herbs.

Yep - Captain Beefheart. At least this one took a little longer... What can I come up with next?:cheers:

Update: 12pt. 3/8 is closest to E12* "reverse torx" upper transmission bellhousing bolt.

LOL. The question of the decade is...do you now have a set of E-Torx?

I actually cringed when I read that you cut them off :( I usually look at that as the perfect opportunity to gather the complete "these are the tools I need to build an xj" toolset. Autozone sells a small set for something like 12 bucks.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Back