• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a quick hand

djblade311

NAXJA Member # 1474
NAXJA Member
I'm attempting to install new upper control arms, bumpstops, and whatnot and could use another hand to manhandle the front axle. If anyone's not doing anything, gimme a ring and I'll buy you lunch n beer.

Hey Josh,

If I was feeling better I woudl help you out.

I will give a little advice as I just put new control arms on my XJ a few weeks ago.

Do one side at a time. If they are adjustable, then take the old off and place it beside the new and extend the new to the same length.

After the control arms are done, then tackle the bumpstops. disconnect the sway bar and shocks, and may even the trac bar in order to remove the springs.

It was tough doing it by myself and I still have some adjusting to do to get it dialed in correctly (I got vibes right now).

If you wait until Monday, I could help you then. I have the day off due to the MLK holiday.

if you need a quick hand, i could help you out, but i am going to the partoutpalloza and do have to meet craker there at a certian time (that i dont know of yet) do you need any tools? you can call me at (949) 533 4709 if you still need a hand, the sooner the better, my name is lindy

thanks guys. I have the control arms done. Found a little trick using a pipe wrench on the knuckle with the jack.

I think I need to buy a bigger/better floor jack...my little one almost killed me.

Getting the front axle down far enough to get the springs off will be fun. I have to get the vehicle up high enough first...see comments about the jack

pepboys has these cool new jackstands with a bottle jack incorperated in them that ive been looking at for 29.99 for 2. i think that they go up to 22". dont cheat yourself with safety...ever

If you need josh, you can swing by and borrow my 12 ton jackstands. Just call me so I can warn my dad and then swing by his place. I'd offer a hand tomorrow but will be at vintagespeeds changing out his header with him, and then am on a secret mission monday to break in the new front end. ;)

djblade311 said:
thanks guys. I have the control arms done. Found a little trick using a pipe wrench on the knuckle with the jack.

I think I need to buy a bigger/better floor jack...my little one almost killed me.

Getting the front axle down far enough to get the springs off will be fun. I have to get the vehicle up high enough first...see comments about the jack

Kragan and Pep Boys has 6 ton stands. I think they are about $40 a set. They go plenty high. The 12 ton are stronger and will go higher, but I could not find any a couple of months back.

You are welcome to come by and borrow a set of 6 tons.

cal said:
If you need josh, you can swing by and borrow my 12 ton jackstands. Just call me so I can warn my dad and then swing by his place. I'd offer a hand tomorrow but will be at vintagespeeds changing out his header with him, and then am on a secret mission monday to break in the new front end. ;)

What the hell does a 12 ton jack stand look like? A block of steel? ;)

djblade311 said:

wouldn't it be nice to have a lift to do that kind of crap? ;)

Okay, I'm feelin' kinda' honery..or is that onery?

Dr Rick

Rick, you know what you can kiss...and its not my wife. hehe. Just rub it in. :)

Funny thing, I bought a 4 ton Craftsmen jack from Sears. Brought it home and unpacked it. On the 4th pump, the jack handle broke. 4ton my arse. Returned it and got another.

Got everything done though...

djblade311 said:
Rick, you know what you can kiss...and its not my wife. hehe. Just rub it in. :)

Funny thing, I bought a 4 ton Craftsmen jack from Sears. Brought it home and unpacked it. On the 4th pump, the jack handle broke. 4ton my arse. Returned it and got another.

Got everything done though...

Glad you got it all done. I'm also glad I got both Jeeps back from the weekend without needing to do any work on either one of them.
I need to bet two buggies ready for this weekend and neither one of them are running right. Damn, I need less toys!
;)

Rick

Back