• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Absolutely necessary to remove oil filter housing?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just picked up the MORE torsion motor mounts. I was going to try and install them tomorrow but I really don't want to mess with the oil filter adapter. Is there any way to get around removing it? I just feel I might mess something up in that tight space. Could I take out the entire support that the mount bolts to or would that not really help me out? Any help would be swell!
TIA,
Collin

Oh-1990 XJ by the way...the bolt head is about an inch from the oil filter.

Last edited:
Never mind guys, it's gonna come off and get new o-rings I guess, probably overdue anyway.

Its really not that hard with the right tools. Breaker bar (that thing is ungodly tight) and the right torx bit. You probably need to cut down the torx bit to make it fit if its too long. I pressed the torx piece out of its socket, cut the backside and pressed it back in.

Last edited:
i changed the o rings on mine in 10 minutes in an underground parking lot. no hassle at all with taking the adapter off and putting it back on.

Micha said:
i changed the o rings on mine in 10 minutes in an underground parking lot. no hassle at all with taking the adapter off and putting it back on.
Lucky bastard ;-)

Yeah I actually don't the torx bit one I have the hex head bolt and I've had a wrench on there before but only to tighten the thing. Hopefully I don't screw anything up though. You only lose about a half quart of oil right?

Micha said:

:bs:

bajacalal said:
Its really not that hard with the right tools. Breaker bar (that thing is ungodly tight) and the right torx bit. You probably need to cut down the torx bit to make it fit if its too long. I pressed the torx piece out of its socket, cut the backside and pressed it back in.

And a pipe to help with that breaker bar. I think it is a T60 bit.

Back