• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back on the road again

ryurabbit

NAXJA Member #611
Well, After ignoring my Jeep for a month or so, I brought home some goodies to make up with it, so it would like me again. After all, I took it for a roll in the desert and then didn't wrench or even start it for a month. Then I fixed the broken spring and put the better arms on it and went for a snow run. My Jeep must think I have another Jeep on the side (I do, 2 of them!) because it broke and would not steer at all. Almost wrecked it 3 times on the way home from Big Bear. So I decided to make up with it and wrench a little. I started by pulling the front driveshaft out and still no steering. Front tires chirping in two wheel drive. Ok not the transfer case. So I pull the front diff cover and let the 400 mile old fluid out, looks brand new, and little pieces of steel come out. Now I'm not happy because this is the 4th time I have had to repair the front axle. I look closer and cant find anything wrong or where the metal came from. So then I pull the carrier to look at the gears. Look good. Check the magnet I glued inside the diff housing. Only 2 chunks of metal. Turn things look closer nothing. So I know there something wrong but cant find it. I decide to take the locker apart. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH. Locker no come out. So to shorten the story, all 4 pins broke and wedged into the locker and cant get it out of the housing. After messing with it for 3 hours finally took the ring gear off and the center pin out, took a sawzall in between the plates and got the pins out. Now Jeep likey me again. Steers and the locker is working fine. Looks like I will make Big Bear after all. Onto my frozen OBA compressor!!!!!:bunny:

Back