• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ Manual

stiff

NAXJA Forum User
Does someone know were can I download the manual for my 94 XJ? Or can someone email it to me if they have it?

Thanks

With the poor quality and reliabilty within some of these Cherokees, I think Chrysler should have made the manual free to all owners. Having to shell out the 90 dollars to Chrysler in order to repair their documented substandard work along with having to repair the "jeep door" defect some of us have is absurd.

I own a Cherokee and will keep it due to the challenge of upkeeping it. Oh well..

Huerito said:
With the poor quality and reliabilty within some of these Cherokees, I think Chrysler should have made the manual free to all owners. Having to shell out the 90 dollars to Chrysler in order to repair their documented substandard work along with having to repair the "jeep door" defect some of us have is absurd.

I own a Cherokee and will keep it due to the challenge of upkeeping it. Oh well..

be thankful they didn't put a 2.7 in it. at lest the motor they used (4.0) has about 40 years of proven reliabilty behind it ( in its various states )

Could be MUCH worse.

I am forunate to have that 4.0 in my baby, and owned a 5.0 engine prior. Same basic concepts.. I can take that. However, the electrical wiring is stumping me right now. Along with the fuse layout changes from varying years. I have found a manual for a 2000, 1988 and 1992 XJ.. only to find the basic turn signal wiring is different to the 96 I have. Back to Google for me.

Huerito said:

HUH? I don't think a Cherokee is particularly unreliable. In fact, in many ways, it beats some other brands hands down.

The issue you are having related to turn signal wiring is kinda unusual. Unfortunatley, the ONLY way to diagnose that type of thing, REGARDLESS of vehicle brand, is with a wiring diagram.

Some public libraries occassionally have some aftermarket manuals that include some wiring diagrams. Have you tried there?

BTW, on ANY vehicle I have ever owned that I planned to keep, I bought the FSM as a form of insurance policy. If nothing else, it can be a good form of ammunition when you have to argue with a professional shop about services your vehicle may or may not need.

AZ Jeff said:
HUH? I don't think a Cherokee is particularly unreliable. In fact, in many ways, it beats some other brands hands down.

The issue you are having related to turn signal wiring is kinda unusual. Unfortunatley, the ONLY way to diagnose that type of thing, REGARDLESS of vehicle brand, is with a wiring diagram.

Some public libraries occassionally have some aftermarket manuals that include some wiring diagrams. Have you tried there?

BTW, on ANY vehicle I have ever owned that I planned to keep, I bought the FSM as a form of insurance policy. If nothing else, it can be a good form of ammunition when you have to argue with a professional shop about services your vehicle may or may not need.

There are plenty of proffesional vehicle reviewers, documents and overall data that will disagree with you. Just Google the overall ratings for your Cherokee year.

To reiterate, I am not bashing on the brand.. I am though being realistic. When I purchased my Cherokee I knew what I was getting into. I just can't see a vehicle with about 100K miles and less than ten years old requiring a FSM with purchase. My 1987 Honda Accord didn't need one until 170K miles.

My opinion is not biased at all and I do enjoy driving the Jeep. I sometimes do wish it didn't rival 90's Hyundai in terms of workmanship in some areas. Nonetheless, I do plan on purchasing a manual.. but between car parts and trips to the junkyard, I cannot allocate funds to do so at the moment.

As for the tunr signal issue, run a search on this site.. to reveal at least 4 pages of similar inquiries. Most noted is the clutch fluid spilling into the fuse compartment.

Huerito said:
There are plenty of proffesional vehicle reviewers, documents and overall data that will disagree with you. Just Google the overall ratings for your Cherokee year.

.......As for the tunr signal issue, run a search on this site.. to reveal at least 4 pages of similar inquiries. Most noted is the clutch fluid spilling into the fuse compartment.
The older XJ's, unfortunately, are NOT so reliable, as you note. The newer ones appear to be as good as most other brands.

My 2000 model year, according to J.D.Power, is rated as "better than average" in "overall long-term dependability". My former vehicle, a 1992 XJ, rated only mediocre in the same survey.

One of the things that always amazes me is that when doing a survey on ANY type of car, the complexity of the vehicle is not taken into account.

For example, it's a fact that a 4WD vehicle has more components in it's driveline than does a 2WD vehicle. Thus, statistically, there are more opportunities for failures in 4WD vehicles than in 2wd vehicles. So, in two vehicles of identical quality, the 4WD one will have more "problems" in it's driveline than the 2WD one. This is just based on pure statistics.

Unfortunately, when they do reliability surveys, OWNERS expect their 4WD vehicles to be just as trouble free as they would a 2WD vehicle, even though their are many more opportunities for problems. So....when a 4WD vehicle has a problem, even if the issue appears at no greater rate than the average for a 2WD, the owner squawks more because of the increased chances due to the greater mechanical complexity.

This is one area where owner surveys are slightly flawed. Consumers expect ALL cars to be equally reliable in ALL areas, regardless of design intent, or intended use. That expectation is slightly unrealistic, and skews the reliability data on certain types of "nitch market" vehicles, notably 4WD vehicles, high performance cars, etc.

PS>>>>I may be wrong, but the connector damage due to brake fluid issue of which you speak does not apply to the later XJ's. Your 1994 would be one of those where it was NOT an issue.

Last edited:
Huerito said:

Yeah ... my Cherokee is a pile of hot steamin' excrement too. Damned thing has only gone 250,000 miles with no major repairs. I mean, DANG! the original clutch only lasted 204,000 lousy miles! How crappy can you get? And that lousy stinkin' factory Trac-Lok limited slip differential? Only lasted 150,000 crummy miles! Gas mileage is horrible -- on my last run down to Philadelphia I only got 24.8 MPG in weekend shore traffic on the Garden State Parkway and New Jersey Turnpike. Yes, it's a real disaster-moblle for sure.

YMMV but as my racing buddy and I were discussing just yesterday, there is probably no vehicle ever produced in this country that's as reliable and as good a value as the XJ Cherokees.

Eagle said:
Yeah ... my Cherokee is a pile of steamin' excrement too. Damned thing has only gone 250,000 miles with no major repairs. I mean, DANG! the original clutch only lasted 204,000 lousy miles! How crappy can you get? And that lousy stinkin' factory Trac-Lok limited slip differential? Only lasted 150,000 crummy miles!

YMMV but as my racing buddy and I were discussing just yesterday, there is probably no vehicle ever produced in this country that's as reliable and as good a value as the XJ Cherokees.

I don't know, maybe this one was destined for me to service. Right now I am curious if the 96 had the flasher/hazard combo relay. This car makes me feel like a pirate with steering wheel on his crotch, cuz it's driving me nuts!

Back