• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's 3" AAL

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking towards getting the 3" aal from rusty's. Please don't knock me. I'm on a budget, so i can't afford RE. This kit will be put on a 87 xj w/ d44 aw4 np231 i-6. Is it possible to run this kit without swaybar disconnects? Are the Swaybar links sufficient? I'm guessing i'm going to need a trackbar relocation bracket. Any suggestions on any other pieces I may need? I'd like to do this right the first time. The kit includes : (2) Coils, (2) AAL's (4) Shox and A brakeline extension.

my first suggestion is spent the money on a full leaf pack. and you'll be ok w/ your stock links you'll just have to take the nut off thougt, and you might want to get some sway bar drop brackets. but they might come in the rust's kit you'll have to call and ask.
Scott

no. u don't need new sway bar links for a 3" lift

& for what its worth the long AAL with the rusty's kit is fine.
for only a 3" kit i wouldn't spend the money for full leaf packs,
for the $ its well worth it, yeah the AALs & rear leaves may settle a bit after a year or two but by then you'll probly be ready to swap to a 6" kit and 33s

the ride w/ the Rusty's 3" AAL kit is Good i ran one for about 1.5yr then upgraded for more height
the quality of ride was semmingly as good or better than stock on my jeep w/ 80k miles & during that time a was driving it every day w/ 31 bfg ats over 140 miles to work & home 4 days/wk on really crappy highways plus wheeled it in Tellico and other places several times HARD!!

Last edited:
I agree with JLANE, I have the rusty's 3" AAL kit and it ries reallynice. I needed to drop the t-case an inch (used rusty for that too) but each XJ is different on this issue. I am going to need an alignment and am thinking of relocating the trac bar with a bracket, or just spend the money and get an adjustable trac bar. I think youll be happy with the kit. I got the brake li9ne extension too but havent put it on yet. As for the sway bar, I have mine still as stock setup. No problems. The kit doesn't include anything for the sway bar.

theschwarz1 said:
I agree with JLANE, I have the rusty's 3" AAL kit and it ries reallynice. I needed to drop the t-case an inch (used rusty for that too) but each XJ is different on this issue. I am going to need an alignment and am thinking of relocating the trac bar with a bracket, or just spend the money and get an adjustable trac bar. I think youll be happy with the kit. I got the brake li9ne extension too but havent put it on yet. As for the sway bar, I have mine still as stock setup. No problems. The kit doesn't include anything for the sway bar.

as for the front brake lines you can unbolt the hardline/rubberline braket from the *frame* and using your hand straighten out the bends in the hardline to provide enough slack,
then using a slightly smaller than the bolt drill-bit, Drill a new hole for the brakeline bracket. ;)
in the rear w/ 3" i didn't bother w/ any modification of the brakeline.

yeah w/ mine i also needed a t-case drop 1" from rusty's,
but a couple of pieces of 3/4" square tubing about 6" long w/ 2 holes & 4 bolts from a hardware store will be cheaper than a $20 t-case drop kit...

JLane99XJ said:
in the rear w/ 3" i didas for the front brake lines you can unbolt the hardline/rubberline braket from the *frame* and using your hand straighten out the bends in the hardline to provide enough slack,
then using a slightly smaller than the bolt drill-bit, Drill a new hole for the brakeline bracket. ;)...
Thanks for the tip

JLane99XJ said:
but a couple of pieces of 3/4" square tubing about 6" long w/ 2 holes & 4 bolts from a hardware store will be cheaper than a $20 t-case drop kit...
Yeah, if you have access to this sort of stuff.....maybe I am lazy :dunno:

Where in Alabam are you?I was stiationed at Fort McLelland in Anniston back in 97 for the Marine Corps NBC school......I have been meaning to get back down there to visit some freinds of mine...(Jimmy Montgomery...never know what throwing out a name might do)

For an older vehicle I very strongly advise AGAINST trying to bend the front brake hard lines, as described above. The steel may be slightly rusty, and will be more brittle and less flexible than new tubing. You run a serious risk of cracking the tubing when you try to bend it.

The right way to do it is longer flex hoses. mid-90s YJ Wranger hoses work with minor alteration where they go into the caliper. You also need a longer hose for the back -- the "bracket" that comes with Rusty's kit is a joke. Again, mid-90s YJ Wrangler hose is a good source.

uvaldetxj said:
I'm looking towards getting the 3" aal from rusty's. Please don't knock me. I'm on a budget, so i can't afford RE. This kit will be put on a 87 xj w/ d44 aw4 np231 i-6. Is it possible to run this kit without swaybar disconnects? Are the Swaybar links sufficient? I'm guessing i'm going to need a trackbar relocation bracket. Any suggestions on any other pieces I may need? I'd like to do this right the first time. The kit includes : (2) Coils, (2) AAL's (4) Shox and A brakeline extension.

I run this same setup. Still have stock swaybar links (for now) and I also am still running the stock trackbar with no relocation bracket. It isn't perfectly centered, but it's not noticable till you sit and study it. So, good enough till I get an adjustable one. I recommend measuring your rear springs before putting in the AAL. You don't want to put them in if they are already sagged. I lucked out and didn't have to worry about the t-case drop, but I have the 242, don't know if theres a difference there or not.

Good luck, be sure to take before and after pics!!

everything ur geting with that kit will be sufficient...unless you plan on wheeling everyday then the rustys aal kit will be fine...for a daily driver you'll like It...you wont need any sway bar links or extensions but their nice to have for extra flex, do a search on making your own, thats what I did....and on an 88 you pry wont need any t-case drop...thats usually 97's and up that have problems with 3" lifts and driveshaft angles...as far as brake lines leave them be...with 31's you wont notice a difference....I can flex my 3" with 32's and I have no brake line problems on a 99 XJ....I think thats about It....go with the rusty's aal kit though...like most people said down the road you will pry want to upgrade so dont dump tons of money now on a 3"

Ive got a RE adjustable track bar (RE 1600) for sale still in its original plastic in the factory box from a RE 6130 kit I just installed. I turned the RE 6130 kit into a 6.5"-7" lift and ordered the RE HD adjustable track bar with 1" heim- end superflex joint extension so I have no use for the RE 1600 that came with the kit. I agree with JLane on the T-case lowering brackets, go to the hardware store buy 4 bolts and a foot of pipe (cuz 8" will be needed to hold it in the vice while you use the hacksaw to cut the four 1" spacers). I think RE wants $28 for this drop kit plus S&H.

D

Back