• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safari Snorkel Install....

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I am picking up a safari snorkel for my 1994 XJ today YAY!

My friend and I are going to attempt this, he is mechanically inclined and we have a shop at our disposal, with all the right equipment.

I have a few questions....

1. How long will it take (approx) to do this?
2. What are some of the challenges that may come up?
3. Why is the 1995+ XJ's snorkel alot more money than the 94-?

Any hints or suggestions will be great!, once my snorkel is in, I am going to change the cluch fan to electric, take care of all the vent tubes, and electrical stuff distributor cap, pulgs wires etc....Once that is all complete, I will be 100% water proof and stay nice and dry and stall free during a deep water crossing.....any other hints???

I was planning this for months, and now my XJ is going to be 100% complete and its winter time....lol

Jeff

G.Q. Jeeper said:
I

1. How long will it take (approx) to do this?
2. What are some of the challenges that may come up?
3. Why is the 1995+ XJ's snorkel alot more money than the 94-?

Jeff
1 it will take you a couple of hours
2 the hardest part is cutting the hole in the fender and the hole under the air box
3 the later models have the winshild washer bottle in the fender...right where the hose for the snorkle goes. The new model snorkles come with a new washer bottle that you have to install somewhere else.

Hope this helps. ARB is really good with there instructions. You shouldn't have any problems at all.

I just installed mine on Sunday. I have a 99, but they sent me a snorkel for a pre 95 (no washer bottle). No big deal, I just got one off ebay for a dollar. It took me about 3-4 hours, and I was taking my time with the wrong tools. If there's two of you, you could easily do it in two hours. Good luck. PS-the snorkel and silicone and whatever else you use will not make your jeep waterproof. It can still stall if you get the whole engine under water, and don't forget about your ECU getting wet. I heard they are somewhat waterproof, but on a 10 year old car, who knows.

-Keith

I installed one on my 97. Instead of moving the windshield washer container, I cut off the "L" that goes into the fender and moved it back about 6"(So it is directly between the four bolt holes. The empty front part of the snorkel I filled with spray foam to keep everything out. I am much happier with this method compared to tearing out my hidden wiper fluid and moving it.

Thanks guys, I will try it later tonight (maybe) I will let you know how it works out, I have a 4 foot deep pond to tryer' out in later tonight after it goes in......

Jeff

I have a '96, and the washer bottle is on the the opposite side? I heard that the difference is in the intake, there is an extra piece for that. I did mine on my own in two hours. I used a small air powered sawzall that made short work of the cutting. You will want to use the template, Mine didn't have one so I had to make it (I got the snorkell brand new for free because of this). The hardest part for me was lining up the holes on the "a" pillar. Make sure those are in the right spot before you drill. You deffinately don't want to re-drill those. Make sure you pre-paint all the holes you make in the XJ.

Greddy

Gojeep said:
Make sure your electric fan is at least 2000 cfm for the conversion. Do a search or see my site for the info.
www.go.jeep-xj.info

Thanks alot for all this info! I will not be able to install it until Thursday or Friday night.....however I am going to do it right, as I do not want my XJ to end up looking like a Old Buick, with all those port holes from miss-cutting....lol

The Sites you guys suggested are awsome, and the next on the list of water proofing is the cooling fan replacement.....

Hope to post pics of my ride soon, as its done...

Jeff

Well My Brother and I installed it last Saturday, it was pretty easy, no troubles at all....

Now where do I try it out???uhmmmm????

thanks alot for your info guys, I will try to post pics soon...

Jeff

Back