• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 XJ Trackbar ???

xjproject

NAXJA Forum User
About a week ago I noticed some noise comming from the steering. AFter checking it out I noticed that the trackbar looked loose. I had a friend turn the steering wheel while I watched the TB. I noticed tht bolt that attaches the tie-rod end of the TB to the frame seemed loose. I tried to tighten the bolt with no luck, I even tried an impact still no luck. When the steering wheel is turned left and right the bolt moves as well. The bolt is tight to the TB but seems loose to the bracket. Any Ideas??? The lift is a Rubicon Express 3.5 under a year old.

You're talking about the upper end of the track bar...the end that mounts to the frame bracket, not the axle, right? And this is the stock unit still, right? If so, being that it's an '86, have you replaced that TRE since you owned it? It's probably just plain worn out. Even if it's not the stock unit, the end is probably replaceable. If it's a new unit, you might have to track down why it failed so rapidly.

-Rich

Yes the upper end of the TB. The TB is the one that came with the lift (not stock) which is under a year old with very little mileage, maybe 4000 miles. Here is the funny part. Where the bolt goes thru the TRE it is tight no wobble. The bolt only wobbles where the bolt goes thru the bracket on the frame. The bolt moves with the TB.

Back