• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Handthrottle cable routing

Jes said:
What is a hand throttle for? You got an onboard welder or something?
no, it's for "finer" gas pedal control (my foot sometimes dips down on obstacles causing a lurch which I'd like to avoid).

Kejtar said:
no, it's for "finer" gas pedal control (my foot sometimes dips down on obstacles causing a lurch which I'd like to avoid).

Seat time will fix that. ;)

I've run mine two different ways. The first way was down the stick, under the bezell and (on top of the carpet) along the lower dash to the firewall pass through for the heating and AC. This worked pretty good because it made for all nice wide turns and a straight shot at the throttle linkage.

When I replaced the cable, the newer (better, the RE cable supplied is CRAP - start with a newer, better quality one and the throttle works a LOT better) was little shorter. I used the more common route on straight down outside the cab and back up between the bell housing and the firewall. It's a simpler route, but puts the cable in more harms ways. Due to the position of the throttle linkage on the older XJ's (on the side of the engine and not the top) down is the only way to go.

As for "more seat time" - pretty easy comment from the "auto" drivers! :twak: They have never had to manage three pedals halfway up a set of "stairs". The handthrottle is way cool for that sort of thing.

bburge - stikman

bburge said:
As for "more seat time" - pretty easy comment from the "auto" drivers! :twak: They have never had to manage three pedals halfway up a set of "stairs". The handthrottle is way cool for that sort of thing.

Gonna have to give that a try. Now in regards to the seat time and auto and stick, I think the seat time is more of a proper issue then auto/stick as it just has to do with fine control and not over doing it: I had it happen to me twice when I was trying to get over an obstacle once I got to a certain point I kept hitting a bump which made my foot sink which made the jeep lurch a bit which made me let go of gas (of course... too much) as not to "leap" over and damage something. Anyways, gonna have to go to either wally world or some bike shop to pick up some parts. I am trying to decide though if I wanna mount it to the stick or the 4wd shifter :D

In the future when I get some time I'm thinking about picking up a cruise control motore for the linkage and look into controlling it using a pot.

bburge said:

bburge - stikman

:rolleyes:

I drive an AX15 and use only one pedal most of the time, the gas pedal.

Funny, same for me.

The clutch pedal is for pansies.

CRASH

Kejtar said:

all you have to do is have your foot up against the tranny hump for control

don't let it float directly over the peddle.

your finger isn't gonna be any more "fine tuned" than your foot.

unless yer just doing this for cool factor.

btw, doesn't look like you were able to control your appetite for posting arbitrary smilies.......I knew you couldn't handle it.

Beezil said:
all you have to do is have your foot up against the tranny hump for control

don't let it float directly over the peddle.

your finger isn't gonna be any more "fine tuned" than your foot.

unless yer just doing this for cool factor.

btw, doesn't look like you were able to control your appetite for posting arbitrary smilies.......I knew you couldn't handle it.

Actually more then a week has passed :D so I'm off the hook (LOL I had to go through smiley withdrawals). Anyways, thanks for the advice on the foot positioning, that might help quite a bit. I'm still thinking about doing the hand throttle but it all depends whether I come up with a good way to route the cable with least amount of work involved.

Once you get a bit of seat time, you'll realize how gay a hand throttle is. (Unless you want to control a Mobi-Arc or a York)

Plus, we'll clown you heavily.

CRASH

Kejtar said:
Actually more then a week has passed :D so I'm off the hook (LOL I had to go through smiley withdrawals). Anyways, thanks for the advice on the foot positioning, that might help quite a bit. I'm still thinking about doing the hand throttle but it all depends whether I come up with a good way to route the cable with least amount of work involved.

Dude, you couldn't go a couple days without smilies......

you were slappin needless smilies on your posts in no time.

Kejtar said:
Actually:D more:D then:D a:D week:D has:D passed :D so:D I'm:D off:D the:D hook:D (LOL:D I:D had:D to:D go:D through:D smiley:D withdrawals:D). Anyways:D, thanks:D for:D the:D advice:D on:D the:D foot:D positioning:D, that:D might:D help:D quite:D a:D bit:D I'm:D still:D thinking:D about:D doing:D the:D hand:D throttle:D but:D it:D all:D depends:D whether:D I:D come:D up:D with:D a:D good:D way:D to:D route:D the:D cable:D with:D least:D amount:D of:D work:D involved.:D
Ther, I fixed it for ya.:D:D:D:D

Kejtar said:
(LOL I had to go through smiley withdrawals).

Were you really laughing out loud?

If not, see the Den LOL thread for help.

CRASH

I did not get any pics but was looking at a few installed hand throttles this past weekend at jamoree pre run at big boulder. Most of them were off of bicycles and were routed down the stick shift, up from the back of the motor and the cable was snapped into one of the empty slots next to the normal throttle cable with a slip fitting. One guy paid a whopping $18 for his, most grabbed them off junked childrens bicycles because they were so small...

Back