• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Squeal

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I have a 98 XJ with a 4.0 and A/C. When I start it some days the belt(so i thought) squeals like a stuck pig. But it only does it briefly, or intermittenly, so i never have time to open my hood and see what's going on. I replaced the belt and it was perfect for about a month, and now its doing it again. I have a friend that had to replace the idler pully on his '92, is that a common thing to replace, and perhaps mine's going too? or is it just eating up belts for some reason other than me hammering on the gas, etc.?

The same thing happened to me last month. My belt squeaked when I turned my AC on, and the extra drag was too much for the belt. I figured the belt I had in there was chewed up, since after I first got the xj (dec 03) the lower radiator hose blew out and coolant flew everywhere which made the belt slip completely. I changed the belt, but it didnt fix the squeak. I let it go for a day, and it would still do it every time I turned on the AC. So I tightened the crap out of the idler and voila! fixed it. I should have just done that first.

So, when you replaced the belt how did you set the tension ??
The 98XJ with A/C has one idler and thats the one that does your belt tension.
I do the idler when I do the belt, I think they are ~$20 or so from the dealer.
The only other 'wear' item is the harmonic balancer on the crank shaft. It has a rubber center and when it starts to seperate the outer pulley part can walk in or out which can destroy the belts, if it goes in it can eat thru the timing cover.
I would use a tension gauge to retension the belt to 150LBS, NAPA sells a Krikit II tension gauge for about $14 or so, handy item to have... Also did you retighten the bolt on the idler pulley after you replaced the belt ??

I struggled with a squealing serpentine belt on a 3.3l dodge V6 for quite a while. I had replaced one idler, the belt, and the tensioner to no avail. Turned out the main seal was leaking onto the belt. The leak wasn't enough to leave any oil on my driveway (probably leaked worst at high speeds), but was enough to cause the belt to slip. I replaced the main seal and cleaned all pulleys with brake cleaner and the problem never returned.

Just an FYI.

Nihil said:
So I tightened the crap out of the idler and voila! fixed it. I should have just done that first.

You have to be careful with that though: overtightening might lead to other failures which can prove rather ugly (extra "angled" pressure for example onthe water pump might make the bearings go out and so on....) The tensionmeter that Rich is mentioning is a good way to verifty that you're not overdoing things.

Does the "squeal like a pig" sound occur if your AC switch is in the on position? It could be the AC clutch slipping on start up. My '98 did the same thing sound wise. I though it was the belt, but it turned out to be a failed AC clutch. For about $480 (parts and labor), I got the AC clutch replaced. The AC clutch is a dealer only item. However, you can but the complete AC compressor and clutch assembly aftermarket.

I rolled the dice, and replace the clutch only... that took care of my AC issues and the squealing... Still using the same belt though....

Ivan

Ok I had the new belt put on by my garage, ive been going to him for years so I doubt its anything he did wrong, but I'll check the idler just in case. Now that you mentioned it though, dusterboy71, I think my headlights have dimmed in the past 2 weeks, which is also the time in which the squeal has started again. Thats going to definately need checking, I work at wal-mart so i can use the huge battery tester thingy for free :D Anyways thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure its not a common problem that people have reaccuring, the kind that only the guys that know the XJ tricks can fix easily.

EDIT: And no it's not the A/C its still to cold for that lol ive only tried it once this year and it didn't do it at all then.

You said you replaced the belt. The belts sometimes stretch a little after initial use and will need to be retightened. Try that and see if it helps. I almost always need to readjust the tension.

90NHXJ said:
You said you replaced the belt. The belts sometimes stretch a little after initial use and will need to be retightened. Try that and see if it helps. I almost always need to readjust the tension.

If you adjust the NEW belt to the correct 190lbs tension it will 'relax' to it's correct 160lbs after about 2 hours of driving. That whats handy about that krikit II tension gauge, lets you get it right the first time... :D

Yes, buy and use a Kriket II tension gauge which you can pick up at any NAPA store IF the clerk knows how to look it up in th book. I posted the NAPA part number somtiem in the past year on here.

I have found generally a belt squeel is caused by too little tension or bad contact with the pulley making the noise.

I change the idle pulley on my 88 XJ 2 years ago and the belt would squeek first thing when I pulled out of the parking lot. Once the paint was worn off no more squeek.

I also noticed once you belt starts to squeek it will be glazed which makes it easier to slip. My advice is to install a good belt like a Good year which you can pick up at Autozone for $30. The groove are cross cut on an angle to make less noise. Remove your current belt, wipe down all the pullies to make sure no junk on them then install the new belt and tension with the kirket II. I installed a new belt this spring and it doing just fine, no noise, no glazing.

The key to avoiding belt sqeek is a proper tension belt and clean pullies. Also if the belt had make squeeks in the past it will again since it is glazed.

While you have the belt off check all the rotating comporents for smooth operation, if they turn rought then change them. One last thing if your fan clutch is over 5 years old then spend the extra time and replace it while you have the belt off, it much easier to get to all 4 nuts. You can turn the fan clutch to gain access, if the belt installed the 4th nut a pain to get to .

Like Martin says: Best to do a search and get the part number for the Krikit. I asked for it by name at the Napa, and the counterman looked at me like I was daft. Had to come home and get part number and have him order it..Works great..Thanks Martin.....Don

98XJSport said:
I have a 98 XJ with a 4.0 and A/C. When I start it some days the belt(so i thought) squeals like a stuck pig. But it only does it briefly, or intermittenly..

i have this exact problem, except the belt is brand spanking new...
only squeals when the compressor starts, or when i accelerate too hard.

(mine is a 99xj w/ AC)

was a solution ever found for your squeal?

I am having the same squeal when the A/C is turned on at start up. Any idea where I should go with this, is it the fan pulley, the belt, the idler, the compressor clutch, or the alternator? My headlights also dim on start up a bit as well.

you likely need a new belt or at least a tightening of the belt. The squealing is caused by the belt slipping on the pulleys that are hard to turn (the alternator gets harder to turn the more it works. More electrical items on at once draws more power.) The a/c is harder to turn as well when it kicks on.

FrankDV1 said:
Noticed NAPA doesn't list Krikit online. I found it on Gates/Europe(google search) and this is the part# 7401-00072. I'm not sure if that's the same number NAPA would use though. Here's the link to Gates: http://www.gates.com/europe/brochure.cfm?brochure=2506&location_id=2977 I'm going to call my local store. I have similar problem...replaced water pump and belt. Squeals when I run a/c and give it gas. Probably a loose belt.

The NAPA part number is NBHKR2, but don't try to do a search online with this number, it will not recognize it, instead either call a local store and give them the number (they are not able to find it) or go online and do a search with the word " belt " as the keyword. Click on "belt tension Gauge", it will cost you a little extra for shipping and you will save on having to drive to them to pay to order it (they don't accept credit card phone orders) and then once more to pick it up a week later.
What a bunch of morons!!!!!!

90NHXJ said:
you likely need a new belt or at least a tightening of the belt. The squealing is caused by the belt slipping on the pulleys that are hard to turn (the alternator gets harder to turn the more it works. More electrical items on at once draws more power.) The a/c is harder to turn as well when it kicks on.

A sqealing belt is very common on XJ and ZJ 4.0. On the WJ they included a belt tensioner and eliminated loose belts.
I run in to this problem quite often because I try to tighten to the minimum to avoid stressing other components, it squeals, I make it a little tighter, it stops.

i had the same problem with a brand new belt a couple months ago. every time i'd turn on my ac or heater it would squeal. sometimes i wouldnt even have the ac on and it would chirp for a couple seconds, especially when i started it up.
the mechanic who put it on tried to tell me i needed a new AC pump, but when i took a look myself the belt was just a little loose
i tightened it down and haven't had a problem since
:) good luck!!

Just cured mine after a week and a half chasing it down.
1st=new belt
2nd- new idler pully
3rd-new water pump
This morning I pulled the water pump pulley and glass beaded the glaze off,now no squeal with alot less belt tension than I had tried before!

Back