• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Squeal

Just finished installing the OEM new $85 ac/fan pulley bracket. Put everything back together and vo-lla......every thing nice and quiet...

for about 1 minute.....then the chirp came back which then turned to a squel....

just like before......

What else can I throw $$$$ at....Im bound to get this darn thing quiet.

I don have a kriket always set tension by feel, maybe I ought to get one...

What about the harmonic damper?

HELP!

Either get a tension guage, or tighten the belt more. It's hard to tell by feel, it's supposed to be tight. It's like telling the difference between a 300 degree motor and a 400 degree motor. Both are damn hot.

Very nice side effect of tightening up my belt to solve the squeaking... DAMN cold AC!

Our AC never worked that great, ok, but couldn't keep up on real hot days. Got the NASTY squeak and tightened up the belt last night... today it's got wicked cold AC! Guess it was slipping over the AC pulley even when it wasn't squealing to high heaven...

ptf18 said:
I don't have a KRIKIT II, always set tension by feel, maybe I ought to get one... [GOOD IDEA]

What about the harmonic damper?

Sounds like the "fun" I've been having that now seems to be fixed.
Yes it could be the harmonic balancer / dampener. Dampener should be flat across the front of the pulley.
Read my thread;
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=921771
It might save you some time and trouble.

Mike

I have a XJ doing this but it is not a belt squeal. It sounds similar but much more quit than a belt slipping.
This would be like a belt squeal that is whispering.
It comes and goes so tracking is hard.
Swapped out the idler pulley from my other XJ just to see and about a day later it was back.
Sounds louder on the driver side.
Any ideas?

I too have this problem. But will see about tightening it. One little side effect it had though was, when you turn on AC is squeels, but one time I let it go for a while. And the Alt gauge went to zero. So I drove home, was only like a block away. Then turned it off. I then tried to fire it back up right away, and the volt gauge came up normal. Do you guys think the alt was spinning to slow...and it lost its excitation(Dunno if that is correct term)? Grasping for straws...any ideas? Been driving it for week since, no AC, and no problems with squeeling or voltage gauge.

Back