• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 4.0 freeze plug !!!

I've not done it in the limited space, but maybe a rubber expanding type plug is an answer. You may not have to even remove the old one, given the right diameter. Just insert and tighten.

If it were only that simple....

TiRod said:
I've not done it in the limited space, but maybe a rubber expanding type plug is an answer. You may not have to even remove the old one, given the right diameter. Just insert and tighten.

If it were only that simple....

Last edited:
The answer ... at last!

Remove the dash and heater / blower box. Drill 1 1/2" hole in the fire wall behind the head. Use a freeze plug install tool. I was in and out in 2 1/2 hours. No mess in the drive way, and I got to drink all of the beer.

Colby
P.S. The water jacket is too narrow for the "universal" plugs to work. They will work for a little while (emergency sit.) but not something you want to send your wife out of town with (or may be you do).

Last edited:
Back