• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No lights on Gauge cluster.

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
97' 4.0l
So I was reading a bit tonight and been trying to figure out why my gauge cluster/transmission shifter/tcase/shifter have no light. I was reading and from what I could understand, if none of those lights work it could be the headlamp switch, but from that reading the delay for the headlamps shouldn't work either but mine still shut off after a short time. Another post said something about the #17 fuse so I'll check that In the morning but I wanted to see if anyone has a good place to start as I don't want to take the dash apart yet to check bulbs lol

Just a suggestion, check your tail lights also. They might be wired in the same circuit and not working.
I haven't figured out / fixed the '89 yet . . ., but I've narrowed it down . . .
But my "legal" fix for the non-op tail lights a set of magnetic mount trailer lights stuck on the back bumper where I've spliced the tail light wire into an acc. plug (cig. lighter).
Mike

On my '87 the dimmer function (rotating) of my head light switch has dead spots where it causes exactly what you described. Back in the day you could just R and R the rheostat and be good to go. I have yet to pull the switch out to see how it's put together, but I'm 100% certain that is where my problem is.

There is a common problem with corrosion on the connector to the instrument cluster. Remove it and clean things up.

1990 XJ -- My issue is slightly different - the lights on the cluster are much dimmer than the radio, clock, shift levers, etc. when the switch is rotated to full. Also, the cluster goes dark much sooner than the other lights when switch is rotated down. I am assuming switch and ground is OK if the other lights function correctly. Any ideas ??

Thanks

Back