• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Accessory Power Issues (Interior)

Red Rocker79

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings; new to NAXJA, but not to Jeeps. Well, the first part is untrue somewhat; been a lurker for a few years on and off, but I digress.

Picked up a '92 Laredo (4.0/AW4/2WD) about a year ago as a DD for my girlfriend, who at the time needed a car. I DD an '87 AMC built MJ, so this was something new to the both of us. Got a good deal on it, and it's virtually stock and unmolested, except for some ugly, trashed out rims and some wiring dubious of a secondhand owner.

When I bought the truck, the PO told me that they had been having some electrical issues when they went to try and "replace fuses"; apparently they had blown one for the majority of the inside electronics and dome lights (at the time, I assumed it was the main feed, 10A fuse), along with the 15A radio fuse and that they had just "left them out" due to laziness, etc.

Dug around in the truck and went ahead and replaced most of the fuses under the dash and inside the engine bay relay compartment. However, I did notice there was a glaring problem, which leads to my current dilemma.

1: When I replaced the fuses for the radio and interior domes (15/10) I noticed that the power antennae motor would constantly run with the 15A fuse inserted into the BDFC (below dash fuse center). Took a look at the wiring for it, and decided to cut the main power feed running to it; which solved the problem, albeit not how I intended to solve it.

I read through wiring schematics and posts online saying that there is supposed to be a white wire mixed in with the other radio wiring above the HVAC that gives the antennae the signal to power up and down, but I have not found one yet, even after disassembling most of the dash itself to fix other un-related issues. Is there another wire that I'm missing here, or is it true that this "white" wire does indeed exist?

2: I removed an aftermarket JVC head unit to do some re-wiring on the PO's previous attempt at a "quality" wiring job. Got that sorted out, but found that the wire designated for constant power (12v PINK) has no power running to it at all. The only time it is energized, thus, able to run the radio when the key is at any position other than OFF is when it's connected to the switched power (Purple/white) wire. By itself, the purple and white wire acts as it should, being for switched power.

I have yet to find a solution as to why there is no power being supplied to the Pink wire; having traced it some distance into the dash to check for frays and double checking the fuses, etc.

I have also noticed that when the pink wire is NOT connected or having some sort of power going to it, that none of the other interior amenities work (Power seats, power mirrors, overhead console lights, etc). Since I last fiddled around with the electronics, I decided to leave the two connected together, since that seems what the PO had done when he wired the radio. At least with this, my GF can use everything at the expense of the radio not retaining any memory when shut off.

SO, my question is thus: What could be the culprit causing this? Would any of you know anything I could check before I go chasing wires down and further disassembling the dash? Also, just what power systems have a common point on these trucks? My Comanche has no such amenities, thankfully, so I never had to worry about decades old electronics going awry like they have been with this XJ.

Item 1. dark green/red wire at pin 3 radio connector.

Item 2. Dome fuse is the pink wire (bundle numerous splices). Power to the Dome fuse comes from fuse 1 in the PDC. I may be wrong, the early 90's were transition years and every year the wiring/fuses were slowly moved more to the PDC.

The violet/white wire is the radio power in comes from the radio fuse, also for the cigar lighter and the clock illum relay.

This is from a 93 likely to be the same.

This is from a 92

Back