• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

February 16 - I hope there's snow run, Big Bear, CA

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL NAXJA EVENT

Okay folks. February 16 I'll be leading a run in Big Bear. The goal here is to play in white stuff.

Right now my plan is to do it with the red Jeep. As such I'm going to suggest that each person has one locker. Other than that we should be able to accommodate you.

Meeting point: Big Bear Discovery Center, 9:00 AM
Plans: Go play. Route will be decided on the spot pending location conditions and participants.
CB Channel: 4 primary, 14, 24, 34 alternate.
2M Radio, simplex: 146.585
2M Repeaters: Primary, Big Bear, 147.330 +, 131.8 PL tone
Secondary, Keller Peak, 146.385 +, 146.2 PL tone

Be advised the CHP may require chains to head up the hill. It would be wise to have a set in the Jeep.

This is a day run for Saturday, February 16 only.

Do you plan on showing up this time?

Fixed

I should come, but then... he'll blame me if something on his cute red jeep breaks.

I didn't say you were at fault, I said I think you are. You have one more chance to prove you're not a curse.

Now think about this, you go out and he is there you have problems.Cracker goes out and he is there he breaks.Just saying i see a pattern here.Could it be him in BB that is what's causing this?

I'm not a curse, and to prove it, I wont go and you will still break.

Probably not...

Besides the Curse of Julio isn't about me breaking. It's about the group, me, or both not being able to complete the trail. If you recall the majority of those were caused by other people breaking.

Probably not...

Besides the Curse of Julio isn't about me breaking. It's about the group, me, or both not being able to complete the trail. If you recall the majority of those were caused by other people breaking.
Last time i wheeled with Julio in Big Bear, we did i think 32 miles of trail? with no issues.

Which reminds me, am i going to have to meet up with your dad to pick up Sean's spare tire again? :D

Last time i wheeled with Julio in Big Bear, we did i think 32 miles of trail? with no issues.

Which reminds me, am i going to have to meet up with your dad to pick up Sean's spare tire again? :D

HOly crap, he still hasnt gotten that back?

Should be able to make it out if I got my front locker installed by then and all the other loose ends fixed up on the old tj, look forward to meeting more of you guys. John

Anyone not going to bring chains? I may chance it, shhhhh. Don't tell anyone.

Or, where are you all buying chains for oversize tires? If I can get some for less than a hundy, I will.

Anyone not going to bring chains? I may chance it, shhhhh. Don't tell anyone.

Or, where are you all buying chains for oversize tires? If I can get some for less than a hundy, I will.

CHP runs in a few different chain requirements. Of course there is no chains required, there is vehicles much carry chains (but not compulsorily to install), non-4x4 must install chain/4x4 must carry, and all vehicles install.

A stop-gap is to carry a random set of chains hoping the mounting will be in non-4x4 must install chain/4x4 must carry mode. The CHP rarely checks chain size when they verify you're carrying.

If you want to grab a set I got a set of traditional chains for my 35s from 4WP several years ago.

Chains are required under R2 conditions but do not have to be installed. However there are some SAVY CHP's up there and if you get one that is of Mexican/American (I will not mention his name), he knows whats up! He will have you pull them out and show they fit! However that depends on the length of the Chain Control line, and whether you look truthful! He knows most Jeeps like ours are suitable and probably won't ask to see them unless he gets a lot of B/Sers. R3 is all vehicles chained and NO buses or semi trucks at all! We have not seen R3 conditions as of yet this year! There has been a lot of accidents due to ice, rather TOO much speed for conditions. Big heads up, when you pass the grade after Snow Valley and get to what is called the Arctic Circle (some call it avalanche alley) there is a lot of rock fall after snow/rain storms. Many oil pans & tires this year have paid the price! As of last week 3N16 had snow only from Green Valley Lake just pass Holcomb Creek trail (3N93) and 3N14 only had some on the down grade to 3N08/2N84/3N93 at the intersection of the those three trails. Holcomb 3N93 did have snow when I went by it in my van but I did not look to see how deep or far in. HCT is shaded mostly so you can expect snow to stay longer. If I get called in and run it this weekend I will up date. No weather is expected soon other than some drizzles Monday!
Oh and about chain prices, I bought a second set to fit 35/37's for my van and have also 35's so I have 2 sets now and they cost me $100.00.

Last edited:
Back