• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Dana44 Axel Seals

SharkXJ

NAXJA Member #1177
I have a rear 44 on my 2001 XJ that is leaking pretty heavily on one side.

I am surprised that when I searched, I couldn't find a write up on replacing the Inner Seals.

I have an ARB so I also need to know how to work with that.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!!!!!

there are no inner seals. probably why you didnt find a writeup.

remove tire, remove brakes, remove 4 retainer plate bolts, put drip pan under it, then pull out the shaft. you'll have to remove the wheel bearing, buy a new one. it will come with a new seal, typically.
you're probably better off bringing the shaft to a shop to get the old bearing pressed off and the new one pressed on, unless you have a big enough press. you can cut them off with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder or dremmel, but you'll have to be extra careful to not cut the shaft, and then you're still stuck with pressing the bearing and retainer back on.
after you get the new seal and bearings on the shaft, slide the new shaft in and reassemble. you may want to put a little rtv around the outside of the seal, but that's optional.

Oh really? I feel dumb :)

Thanks for the feed back. I have a spare set of the stock shafts with the bearings on. I can throw those in while I have the other bearings pressed on.

Thanks again....

If your spare set of shafts are good just have new bearings and seals installed on them.. then simply swap them in the axle.

I have had good luck with baking my carrier/pinion bearings to around 400 around they slide right on...maybe a little tapping but very easy. Maybe this will work for your shafts.

Back