• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I have ABS or not?

Aussiewicker

NAXJA Forum User
Hope someone can help:

I need to know if my 2000 model XJ 2.5TD has ABS fitted or not.... I can see provision on the dash for an ABS warning light, but this is never lit; not on switching on the ignition or when starting the motor.

I imagine then that the dash is ABS ready, but no ABS is fitted?

If you have teh C8.25 rear, then no. If you have the D35 then probably. There are threads around that show how the axle/covers look to identify or a quick google search/ Also, if you look underhood and see a small unit with 4 brake lines coming out of it near your brake master cyl then you have abs.

At least on the earlier models, only one dash assembly was used. Some bulbs weren't installed, or don't illuminate, depending on options. It doesn't surprise me that there's an ABS space on your even if your XJ isn't equipped with it.

You can also look under the hood to see if there's an ABS reservoir & pump. I can't tell you what they look like, though.

A pix under the hood would be most helpfull. Turbo Diesels are basicly non-existant here in the US.

Thanks guys: so I definately don't have ABS.... appreciate your help in clearing this up

Just that I need to source a new / secondhand rear axle assy, and wasn't sure whether ABS or non-ABS....

Thanks again. (pics of 2.5TD engine bay attached below, as requested)

You could also look at the brakes on each wheel.
If there is a brakeline and a wire then you have ABS, if you only have the brakeline to the calipers/cylinders and no wire then you dont have ABS.

from the pics I'd say you don't have it.
if you did there would be an ABS pump unit right around your brake master cyinder and the lines off your prop valve would run ito that before going out to the wheels. The ABS pump unit is about the size of your fuel filter/sperator on the firewall there.

Back