• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adding powerlocks/windows to SE model

256offroad

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at a 98 2 door SE that has manual windows and locks (but power mirrors as well as cruise)

I am wanting to add power windows and locks to it from some spare doors i have from a sport. I also have a 98 sport for a wheeling rig that has all the necessary parts for the conversion.

what are the chances that the wiring FOR power locks and windows are in the SE jeep?

it wouldnt be hard to run new wires for this right?

Thanks!

planning to go look at it saturday morning so need some quick replys!

I'm almost 100% certain you will not have the wiring in your SE. IIRC there are three factory harnesses. SE, all other trim levels excluding Infinity Audio, and with Infinity Audio. It would probably be easier to just add your own new wiring to convert than try to pull the components off your wheeling rig.

What are the chances that the harness for the power mirrors that is already on the jeep includes windows and or locks?

posted using my 4g, fast as hell, Verizon phone via tappatalk

I recently did this, but on an old '90. For that one, you needed to add a body harness that ran under the front carpet from the fuse box to the passenger side kick panel, and which contained the relays for the windows and locks. I doubt yours would have that harness if it didn't come with the power equipment from the factory. The door harnesses might already have the pigtails for the windows and locks; check the parts fiche to see what harnesses were available (if there was only one or multiple ones), or just check your existing harness for the pigtails.
If you have a parts rig with the factory harnesses, check them over and reuse them if possible. Everything will fit in place like stock :) and if you have problems in the future, it's nice that all the locations and wire colors match the wiring diagram for debugging. Just my $.02

yeah ive decided to go pick the jeep up. it shouldnt be a problem to get it swapped over.

I did this to my 98. You will need to replace teh main cross body wiring harness. This is a H shaped harness that connects at the driver and passenger side kick panels, runs under the back seat, and then connects at the taillights. You will also (probably) need to get the entire dash harness since about 6 wires are missing in the part of the under dash harness that runs through the driver's compartment next to your left foot to the area above your right foot. The power feed for the windows, the door lock triggers, and the right power mirror feeds are missing.

As a bonus when you do this is that you can run power heated mirrors and rear door pin switches to turn on the dome light. You can also add the Infinity tweeters, if you can find them.

You will need the power door lock units (these are combined into the door mechanism that engages the strikers) and you will need the rear hatch actuator. You will also need new door panels, new (or used) power window mechanisms, and the in door wiring harnesses.

Be prepared to srip out all of the lower interior trim and remove all of the seats to get better access to everything. Inspect all of the wiring harnesses for damage before you install them.

One ood thing is that more Cherokees in the JY seem to have power accessories than don't. But, most of the power window mechanisms get grabbed pretty quick. In addition, the door switches you will get from the JY are probably flakey. I ended up having to replace mine quickly after the conversion.

The door panels I ended up finding were the dark gray (agate?) color and my SE was the light gray (mist) color (can't recall the exact trim color names)

I ended up also grabbing a overhead console and now I also have factory keyless entry. Although, I planning a full remote keyles entry / alarm / remote start upgrade later.

well i am convinced that since the jeep has power mirrors that the harness is there. i have spare hatches with the power locks in them so its a matter of just adding everything in the SE.

I also have spare matching door panels for power windows and locks.

I will also be adding rear pin switch for the hatch.

I will post back what i find.

Just pulled the wheeling rig apart and the power window switch is in the same harness as the locks and windows..... hmmmm

posted using my 4g, fast as hell, Verizon phone via tapatalk

Power mirrors where standard on all 97+ XJ's regardless of the trim level. You might get lucky, but don't be surprised if you're in for a project. Like was stated above I'm betting it'll be full body harness swap, or build your own (which would probably be easier).

got this done and it was surprisingly pretty easy.

the harness under the dash is common for all models of xjs. The only difference in harnesses is the body harness that plugs under the drivers side dash and is in the shape of an H. It runs down the drivers side of the jeep as well as the passenger side and connects under the back seat.

all in all had to move that harness and all door guts and panels.

also had a remote start/alarm in it.

what color are your old manual window door panels? Interested in selling? let me know please... not interested in swapping my SE to power, but do need new door panels...

Back