• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical issues

vegeta

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I need a little xj knowledge here. I've got a 93 country model that I'm having electrical problems with. A few months ago I started having problmes with the interior lights staying on and running my battery down. I just took the bulbs out since this isn't a daily driver. Then about a month after that the nss started acting up. It starts fine in neutral so again I didn't worry to much about it. Now my instrument cluster is dead. No gauges are working and with winter getting closer I'd like to get this fixed. I've checked the obviuos things like the fuses both in the pdc and under the dash and none are blown. I'm not up on electrical systems so I'm looking for ideas where to start. The only mods to the electrical system is a grand cherokee alternater but the lights were staying on before that went in. Also the lights on the cluster are working just the gauges themselves aren't.
I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions on where to start.

When it rains, it pours, right?:)

I feel sure your 3 problems are not related, but since all of
the gauges don't work, the trouble must be in the electrical
plug-in connector for the gauge panel. You'll need to remove
the panel and cleck the connector. Maybe spray it with WD-40
and secure it with a zip tie...

I was going to do that today if the rain stops or slacks off a little. When you talk about ziptieing does this connector have a habit of coming apart? I heard from a friend of mine about doing the same thing to the main wiring connector under the hood, the one that goes to the fuse panel itself. Could that be part of my problem too? I think I'll clean it anyway and pack it with new dielectric grease just to be safe.

okay so I got the guage cluster out and the connectors were tight and totally clean. I did put a little dieletric grease in them just to be on the safe side. Also I checked and my turn signal lights work and blink and the high beam indicator works too. Nothing else does and that includes the radio. I also pulled the radio and even unhooked it to see if it could be the problem but nothing. I check for any bad wires or burned parts but didn't see any. I also checked the ground in the engine bay but it was tight and clean. A few things I forgot to mention before. The keyless entry stopped working right before the lights and the power door locks don't work, but before they stopped altogether they would sometimes lock and unlock on their own. I got locked out last fall when I started the jeep to let it warm up. When I came back outside to get in the door was locked. I had to get under and pull the fuel pump connector to shut it off.

okay so I finally had time to do some work and I found the problem. The keyless entry module was burned up and I mean toasted. The connector fell apart when I tried to take it apart. The funny thing is the fuse still looked good but I guess it burned out so quick it didn't have time to get the burned look to it. Anyway I'm going to clip the old harness plug off(since it's trashed) and just tape it up so it can't short out anymore. Do I need to get a matche setup for the keyless entry to work again? I probaly won't bother with it but if I decide to fix it will my remote work with a new module?

that was one of the things I looked at more closely today. I've got a friend whos windshield leaks and it shorts out the fuse panel but I didn't find a drop of moisture or any damage that may have come from water in the past. Like I said, it was definetly the keyless entry module. It was burned so bad the cicuit board had lost all the covering on it and you could see the material under that and the connector and wiring was melted into a solid blob. I just cut the entire setup off where the wire was still good and taped it up so it wouldn't be able to short out any more.

Back