• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Considering buying!

Wildman89

NAXJA Forum User
Well its time i buy a truck!!!! Out looking and at a local dealership Came across a 2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty crew cab (4 door) 4X4 7.3L V8 Power Stroke Diesel. It has i believe a 5 inch leaf spring lift, mag hi tech rear diff cover and is in really nice shape in and out. $16K. Anyone own one of these or have any good or bad comments on them? Thanks

I drove a brand new 01 4 door 7.3 during my construction years and loved it. It was a company work truck but I always wanted to drive it around as my DD. It was so comfortable and had great power. I towed our 20ft flat bed trailer with 50-100 sheets of drywall all the time and you couldn't even tell it was back there. My f-150 was a diffrent story. What a piece of crap. Was in the shop more then I drove it. The only down side was trying to park that beast. What a biatch!!!

hahaha ok cool!!!!!Yeah i was told to stay away from the 6.0 that why i waited for a 7.3, I have been approved for it just wanted some input before i commit. Sounds like a decent deal. I primarily wanted a Diesel truck so i could haul my Heep on a trailer. Thanks guys

I drove a 2006 and 2008 Super Duty at my last job. Both were duallies with a flat bed and V10. I liked driving them around, taller than my XJ, rode firm but not bone jarring. The V10 is a gas og tough. We saw at best 10 mpg, unloaded, on the highway. A friend of mine drove a 2002ish with the 7.3 and loved it. She let me drive it once and the 7.3 was a good strong engine. Also, parking was nothin. Just had to accept that with the flat bed, I was going to use two spaces. :D

7.3 is a great motor, but it's still a ford :D 5.9 cummins has my vote.

I'll chime in too I suppose,

I love me a good cummins, just avoid the 98-01's with the crappy fuel system.

When I worked for Oceanside's dept. of harbor and beaches we beat the snot out of our 7.3's on the sand and in the salty surf and they hold up well. The f250 should serve you well, good call avoiding the 6.0

Last edited:
Just remeber,they are all considered"commercial vehicles" so your Registration will be a lot.Mines but this month and its around $550.Plus there starting to smog diesels too_Other than that they are great.

Yea, I think it's post 97 under 10000 GVWR diesels that they smog. And the registration on our trucks at work was 850 for the 08 and 650 for the 06.

I'm lookin to buy a CUCV when the time comes (waiting on the VA/my school) for DD/tow rig. Being that it's so old, reg should be a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Just remeber,they are all considered"commercial vehicles" so your Registration will be a lot.Mines but this month and its around $550.Plus there starting to smog diesels too_Other than that they are great.
Yeah its $480 for this one! But i think for the price its a good buy (about 2k under kbb) Listen......... thanks guys for all your input on this subject! I appreciate the help.:cheers:

do it man, i have the 02, and i absolutely love mine man! only thing i regret, is mine isnt 4wd...

i bought an 03 f250 supercab longbed 4x4 6.0 last year, it replaced my DD and became tow rig.

I have used 4 wheel drive waaay more than i expected to, it is a must. Towing the xj is nice, both in not worrying about it breaking, and hauling more gear out with me. Cabover camper is next.. ;)

The 6.0 / 7.3 argument is a dead horse to beat, there are only a few problems with the 6.0, and the bad one (head bolts) generally happens early on or not at all - if it is still running strong at 5 years old, the heads are probably fine.

I've towed my XJ a lot with very similar 6.0 and 7.3 trucks (2002 7.3, 2003 6.0), the 7.3 has a little more low end grunt on the hills, where the 6.0 likes to downshift - but the 6.0 has waay better driveability and got a few mpg better. I think the diffence in transmission is responsible for all of that.

Either way, you're going to do well with that truck.

Last edited:
I run a service dept at a Ford dealership and i am here to tell you I love the 6.0 because it pays our bills!! The 7.3 hardly ever comes in they are a great motor. All the people that have superduty diesels that are mechanics at our shop are driving 7.3

im not really a ford guy, but i have to say the 7.3 is the most reliable of the powerstrokes based on what i hear from everyone. a bunch of my dad's customers with 6.0 s are always having to take them in while everyone i know with a 7.3 has very few problems.
i'd recommend a 94-98 Dodge CTD 12 valve due to their ultimate reliablity and simplicity with mechanical injection. theres also no smog with these so you can do mods to get more power of of 'em. and you also cant go wrong with a straight 6 :thumbup:

Back