• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

holy crap we made it!

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
Yup! Didn't die on the rubicon. Everyone made it out alive and with minimal carnage. Pics coning soon. We are sleeping at the motel 6 in south lake tahoe.

ure one lucky SOB to make it to the rubicon out of me and tim!

I had a blast, it was the best trail i have ever been on!

4748305238_59e74de9d8_b.jpg

Great shot at the overlook! Glad you all had a good trip.

That was by far the coolest trail I have been on. I have done some night wheeling but running the Rubicon at night was one fun challenge. I had a great time meeting some old and new faces. Max I really appreciate your preparedness with all the tools. If it wasn't for you I don't think we would have ever gotten Vinces axles back together. Mike, I also really appreciate helping Vince get up Cadilac hill. For those of you who didn't go, Vince blew out his rear ring and pinion on the first day. He was in a yota so we had to swap his 3rd members around and put the broken rear in the front and the good front in the rear. He then had to run the 2nd half of the trail in 2 wheel drive. That was a serious biatch. But with lots of tow strap use we got him through. Great times. I look forward to doing this again next year. My buddy Frank who was my co-pilot took all the pics. He's gonna put them all on a CD and bring it over later today. I will post them up as soon as I get them.

Waiting for your report, leaving a week from today and will be at the Motel "6" at the end of my adventure as well.....SANTA

Not sure if your wondering or not, but the trail was clear all the way through. The snow was gone except for a couple little spots above Cadillac hill and the water crossings were not bad. Only one came up to the top of my tires. So the deepest water crossing was somewhere between 33-35". The weather was fantastic and trail conditions were great. You should have a wonderful trip.

Sounds like everyone had a good time.Did you do the trail in two or three days? I wish I could of made it, work is finally picking up so leaving town wasn't in the cards.; )

Not sure if your wondering or not, but the trail was clear all the way through. The snow was gone except for a couple little spots above Cadillac hill and the water crossings were not bad. Only one came up to the top of my tires. So the deepest water crossing was somewhere between 33-35". The weather was fantastic and trail conditions were great. You should have a wonderful trip.

Thanks for the report,sounds like you had the best of times......SANTA

So after being on the trail first hand what kind of rig do you think it would take to get across the trail.... Both lockers mandatory? 33" tire minimum or will 32" suffice?

Not that I plan on keeping my rig as-is til next year but you never know lol

So after being on the trail first hand what kind of rig do you think it would take to get across the trail.... Both lockers mandatory? 33" tire minimum or will 32" suffice?

Not that I plan on keeping my rig as-is til next year but you never know lol

Max ran it with 31's. I know he got hung up a few times and needed to be winched. I will let him chime in on his experience. I was running 7" of lift on 35's with a locked rear and trutrac front and was able to get through everything with no winching or tugs from a strap. I know Al went through on 33's with zero assistance and Sean went through on 33's and I think only needed help once. My guess would be that 33's with lockers front and rear would get you through with little if any issues. 32's and 31's with lockers front and rear will get you through with the occassional strap tug or winch.

My guess would be that 33's with lockers front and rear would get you through with little if any issues. 32's and 31's with lockers front and rear will get you through with the occassional strap tug or winch.

x2. Well said. I've also heard that this is the beginning of the season for wheelin thru there. So the conditions could also change once a couple hundred vehicles go thru there.

I JUST MADE IT HOME. Drove from south lake tahoe back on the 395 and had a great time. Ill post pics up tomorrow. i am way too tired to do anything.

Max ran it with 31's. I know he got hung up a few times and needed to be winched. I will let him chime in on his experience. I was running 7" of lift on 35's with a locked rear and trutrac front and was able to get through everything with no winching or tugs from a strap. I know Al went through on 33's with zero assistance and Sean went through on 33's and I think only needed help once. My guess would be that 33's with lockers front and rear would get you through with little if any issues. 32's and 31's with lockers front and rear will get you through with the occassional strap tug or winch.

It was not to bad with 31's but defiantly require 2 lockers and picking good lines, I did get stuck twice the second day once required a winch backwards as I got the front diff stuck on a drop off. The other one i had to winch forward to get off the rear diff.
4750874099_8c3bf87119_b.jpg

Sean got stuck a few times one happened to be 100ft from camp and took a good half hour to get the tire changed and winch / strapped up. Then the next day after i got my front end stuck he managed to do the same thing further down the trail, a high lift and winch got him out.
4751520736_f73d92253b_b.jpg

I would say no problem with 31's just be careful of the path you take and be aware how low the diff is. I also managed to rip my exhaust out completely and had a v8 sounding exhaust.

The biggest thing about the trail is how it just never gives you a break, there is always another obstacle and unlike any other trail i have been on... I hope to make this a yearly event.

Back