• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild my XJ or Replace it?

IcedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I am getting back into Jeeping after a few year hiatus and I have a problem. I tore my XJ apart about 4 years ago gutting it of its engine, transmission, t-case, and driveshafts because I was going to do an engine swap. Now, 4 years later, I don't want to do that and want to get it back to running shape.

My question is in regards to what you all think would be a better idea. I can either replace my Jeep and get another XJ which from what I am seeing will run me about $3000 (just a rough CList average) or I can rebuild my XJ. I personally see rebuilding the XJ as a bit more rewarding to get it back and running but I am not sure how much to estimate as a cost to go that route.

It would need new brakes, I have a Dana 44 that needs rebuilding to swap in, rear suspension is shot, all new drive train, and not to mention when this was smogged 6 years ago the mechanic mangled the electrical. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Rebuild it and use the money saved into future mods. Going this route will give you a much more rewarding experience, the same experience all of us have ;)

I should add that it already has a 3" lift and 32" all terrain tires.

Thats really a non issue since those parts can be swapped, I guess the real question is do you want to re build it or get a new one? Personally I would re build, a good learning experience.

Yes I would love to, my only concern is what sort of a cost am I looking at to do so? I am trying to make a decision that will not only be smart money wise but rewarding.

I am limited when it comes to engine work as I do not have the place to do that sort of work, but I have done everything else in my driveway.

I guess my only other hesitation at the moment is where to find these parts in good condition and having a solid resource to help me learn. I know all the parts and most of what to do, but am still new enough to mess it up.

What year?What trans?What T-case? What else?Thats where the real info will be!

What year?What trans?What T-case? What else?Thats where the real info will be!

Yee-Haw! Condition of the engine, condition of the transmission, condition of the transfer case, condition of the drive shafts? Do you even still have any of those parts? Have they been laying outside in the hog pen or stored and cared for?

All said and done, DO YOU WANT SOMETHING YOU HAVE PUT TOGETHER WITH YOUR OWN HANDS, OR SOMETHING SOMEONE ELSE WAS GLAD TO GET RID OF?

DO YOU WANT SOMETHING YOU HAVE PUT TOGETHER WITH YOUR OWN HANDS, OR SOMETHING SOMEONE ELSE WAS GLAD TO GET RID OF?

Cant think of a better quote, this is why I never let anybody work on my jeep other then close friends (while im there) or myself personally.

ah here is the real kicker... the engine was scrapped so was the t-case and transmission... It was not my choice but rather it was sitting around and got removed.

If I was to rebuild it would need all new drivetrain (literally) and it is a 1989 Limited it had the 4.0L I6, AW4, and NP-231 t-case.

I kick myself everyday for the engine getting scrapped :-(

ah here is the real kicker... the engine was scrapped so was the t-case and transmission... It was not my choice but rather it was sitting around and got removed.

If I was to rebuild it would need all new drivetrain (literally) and it is a 1989 Limited it had the 4.0L I6, AW4, and NP-231 t-case.

I kick myself everyday for the engine getting scrapped :-(

sounds like its time for something exotic under the hood. small block, sm465, 203/205 doubler. possibilities are endless now! i would rebuild and replace. youll feel better in the end knowing what ya got. think of all the good times youll have.

okay going exotic has always been an idea on my mind

If that were the case, care to message me with a possible setup? I am not very knowledgeable about good transmissions to put in tandem with a sbc and same with the transfer cases.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007477

Less expensive, still very cool. Love mine!

you jerks beat me to it. haha

if you have a carcase and the know-how/time/energy/determination to bring it back to life you need to see how desirable what you have is. what condition is the body in? if its not worth saving then i wouldnt throw another dime at it.

sure the V8 swaps looks exspensive and time consuming, but if your starting from scratch then your already partly there. and for all the headaches your going to find trying to make the vehicle run like "factory" you might as well spend a little extra coin and go full tilt.

obviously this cherokee isnt your DD at the moment, so take your time and source parts cheaply. it CAN be done for a reasonable price.

a good thing also is that yours is a 1989 and if you do a small block/drivetrain swap, the original renix ecu can be totally eliminated and you wont have the pcm issue the others have had on the obd2 systems. the renix ecu is not need for the dash or ignition to work with a small block swap.

Back