• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project: "Cherry-Okie"

covertcombatant

NAXJA Forum User
My son named this Jeep the first time he tried to read the name.
This is my First Jeep and im looking forward to making this a fun ride for me and my 8 and 4 year old sons to go out in. I have a 2,000 Dollar budget maybe a little more to get her going right now.

Just picked this up off of Craigslist for 800.00 bucks.
1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
244,000 miles on it (Motor Work Unknown)
She Runs Great!

Problems right now are.
Neutral Safety Switch just acted up on me today.
Oil Leak from motor somewhere, (Going to Pressure Wash Tonight and find it)
Shocks and steering very sloppy
Motor Mounts are shot!
Speedometer doesnt work right now and its throwing a CEL because of it.

My first order of Business is to take care of all the leaks. Then do the lift, rims, and tires. Then possibly replace the rear end and go with discs out back. I believe it has the dana 35 in the back right now, should I go with the disc upgrade kit on the dana or go to the Ford 8.8 with discs on it?
IMG_3495.jpg

Rear End Stamp
IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

Transfer Case Tag
IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

So this is what I have to start with, If anyone has suggestions or ideas please let me know.
Thanks,
Brian

Welcome! If you tell us what size tires you want to run we can steer in the right direction in regards to lift height, needed mods, gears, etc.

I've got a 92, its a very good vinage of cherokee. Your D35 will be fine for now, up to 31's. Don't worry about that. If you want, shop around for a 8.25, and some ZJ disc parts and build it slowly, and have it ready in case of d35 failure. (Again, you should be fine! :) )

that 242 doesn't have the following that the 231 has, but its still a good case, with some options.

The neutral safety switch is finicky on mine, too. Its been the same, though, since last summer, and has never left me stranded. You can rebuild them a bit, and that tends to solve a lot of issues.

Mine had sloppy steering, too, and I replaced the steering shaft from the steering box to the firewall, cuz the rubber isolation joint was loose. Its about $100.00 from morris4x4.com, and about a 30min install if you have good instructions.

The best motor mounts out there are made by Brown dog, or yellow dog, or something (vendor here on naxja). They're bombproof and use real rubber and not sqeaky polyurethane.

31-33's but looking at your pics those 35's look awsome!
Im not opposed to cutting the fenders either

The cost differece to modify an XJ to run 31's compared to 35's is GIGANTIC. You can toss on a cheap $200 budget boost and some 31's and your ready to go. No regearing, no sye, and no cv driveshaft needed and the factory rims will be fine. If you go 35's your looking at major upgrades to your factory axles or even replacement of them to an 8.8 or 44. You will probably need to go long arm or at least drop brackets on a 5" or more lift. You will have to make some serious upgrades to your steering components. You will also need a sye, new rear driveshaft, higher gears, probably some chromoloy axle shafts. None of this includes the armor you would want like rock sliders, steel bumpers, gas tank skid, etc. Then you have the cost of lockers, and the 35" tires and rims. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you away from the idea of 35's, just make SURE that you need to run tires that big. (meaning you plan to do some serious wheelin) The best thing to do is find out exactly what tire size you want and then you can go from there. A lot of guys run a 4.5" lift on 33's and that seems to be a VERY capable set up without major modifications. There are always guys on here selling their stuff used at great prices. You can also get help from us installing any of your stuff. Don't be afraid to ask. Most of the guys here love wrenching on Jeeps and wouldn't mind helping a fellow XJ guy out. Good luck and congrats on the new purchase.

Thanks for all the help guys.
I would love to bring this over to someone that really knows the xj's and have them look at it and give me recommendations on parts like the sterring box, column and other things. If anyone is local or even not so local that would mind taking a look at it, ill buy you some beer and lunch.

Yeah Bhicks, I cant go that extreme yet. The wife would have my you know what on the mantle.

The cost differece to modify an XJ to run 31's compared to 35's is GIGANTIC. You can toss on a cheap $200 budget boost and some 31's and your ready to go. No regearing, no sye, and no cv driveshaft needed and the factory rims will be fine. If you go 35's your looking at major upgrades to your factory axles or even replacement of them to an 8.8 or 44. You will probably need to go long arm or at least drop brackets on a 5" or more lift. You will have to make some serious upgrades to your steering components. You will also need a sye, new rear driveshaft, higher gears, probably some chromoloy axle shafts. None of this includes the armor you would want like rock sliders, steel bumpers, gas tank skid, etc. Then you have the cost of lockers, and the 35" tires and rims. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you away from the idea of 35's, just make SURE that you need to run tires that big. (meaning you plan to do some serious wheelin) The best thing to do is find out exactly what tire size you want and then you can go from there. A lot of guys run a 4.5" lift on 33's and that seems to be a VERY capable set up without major modifications. There are always guys on here selling their stuff used at great prices. You can also get help from us installing any of your stuff. Don't be afraid to ask. Most of the guys here love wrenching on Jeeps and wouldn't mind helping a fellow XJ guy out. Good luck and congrats on the new purchase.

x2, there's ALWAYS used parts available. Hardly ever have I needed to buy new stuff. There's also "Karma" threads in most sections where people "gift" their unwanted stuff to other Naxja folks.

I personally run a small 1-2" lift, and stock tires for the moment, as I'm going for a "super-stock" build.

My goal is to build the truck that the engineers would have built if they
didn't have to cut corners.

I'm also a pragmatist, though, and am seeking to upgrade any weak points before they become an issue, or become a hazard while far out on an overland trip into the sierra's or someplace like the mojave desert.

I'm NOT willing to cut my truck with two exceptions:

1. to add a snorkel (I LOVE water crossings)
2. To add armor like JCR's upper and lower 1/4 panel armor.
3. Possibly to install aftermarket flares, but I haven't seen any I like yet...

I figure those few things are worth the body modification and will add to the trucks overall durability and reliability.

Just the way I'm doing it, though, cuz I've also got a budget that is on the smaller side. (Got no car payment, though..haha!)

I'm NOT willing to cut my truck with two exceptions:

Whats with all the people that don't want to cut their fenders? I dream about having the fabrication skills to expand my rear fender wells to fit 35"s on a 5" lift and still have decent flex.

I prefer the stock look. thats it. :)

I didn't want to cut anything at first either, but once I started cutting the fear went away. I have no issues now with cutting crap that is in the way or serves no purpose. My $17 harbor freight grinder has paid for itseld 100 fold.

Yeah that would be awsome if I can get your help. I am working on a movie at Linda vista hospital (closed down) till the 12th of June. Maybe I can come by a day after work or on the weekend. What part of LA are you from ?
Thanks

I didn't want to cut anything at first either, but once I started cutting the fear went away. I have no issues now with cutting crap that is in the way or serves no purpose. My $17 harbor freight grinder has paid for itseld 100 fold.

I agree, after cutting two giant holes in my hood for vents I have no fear of cutting, drilling, grinding anything on my Jeep.

Could I pull off a rubicon express 3.5 superflex with springs, transfer case drop of 1 inch,and not have to go with a sye? I'm also going to go with the brown dog motor mounts 329.00 for the whole kit (ouch).
Also has anyone rode in a xj with the rubicon mono shocks? Is it worth the extra cost?

Could I pull off a rubicon express 3.5 superflex with springs, transfer case drop of 1 inch,and not have to go with a sye? I'm also going to go with the brown dog motor mounts 329.00 for the whole kit (ouch).
Also has anyone rode in a xj with the rubicon mono shocks? Is it worth the extra cost?

A sye is not necesary on a 3.5" lift. There are quite a few guys on here with older style XJ's like your running the RE 4.5" superflex lift with no sye. They usually just use the t-case drop kit that comes with the lift and have no vibrations. The new model XJ's have a different yoke (not sure what's different) but they seem to get vibs at 4.5" when the older ones don't. If you plan to run 33's you need to go 4.5". You should install the lift and just drive it. IF you have no vibs then your good to go. I'm sure guys on here with 4.5" lift and older body style will chime in and give the specifics of what they did and the cost involved.

Ok, in that case Ill go with the 4.5 Rubicon Express Superflex lift,
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/4-5-Super-Flex-Suspension-System-by-Rubicon-Express.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=5491&t_pl=101371&t_pn=R%2fERE6130

Thinking of Going with a black Steel wheel probably Pro Comp Rock Crawler Series
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/R...s=209&t_pt=100021&t_pl=100347&t_pn=PCW52-5265

Tires will be 33x12.50R15LT, Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radial
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Mi...13&t_s=161&t_pt=100798&t_pl=2887&t_pn=M/T5754

Motor Mounts will be
http://browndogindustries.com/su2572-0superkitwmmandenginebracketsultraflexrubber.aspx

As far as gearing, How would the Jeep take the 33's right now with the stock gears?
How long could I drive it this way until I upgrade the Gears and add a locker?
I think I might just save money and go with a Dana 44 around Sept - Oct with disc brakes and an ARB Locker.
What shocks do you recommend for the Rubicon Express 4.5 Lift?
Thanks

I'm also going to go with the brown dog motor mounts 329.00 for the whole kit (ouch).

You can probably skip the brackets. Just get the mounts. You can upgrade to the brackets later if you want. The mounts alone are like $90. I just put a pair in mine. No big deal. But I never did find those "all steel locknuts", went to three local parts stores. Ended up double nutting them with red locktite. FWIW I've only been wheeling once since then and my engine did not fall out on the trail...

I run OME shocks in my RE 4.5 setup. Love 'em.

Last edited:
Back