• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i did it i did it

Ewenm

NAXJA Forum User
hi all, after much chasing around i did it, that is swapped out the original worn out d35 and replaced it with a new drum to drum 8.25 with 4.10 gears and standard trak lok,

and to match i swapped out the original d30 for a brand new d30 disc to disc with matching 4.10 gears

i have 4" of lift so my prop shaft fitted ok (1994) just needed new U bolts, and with the new front control arms and shock absorber bushes it drives like a new car. only problem was that the nut case "experts" who did the work put my wedges in back to front and the pinion angles were wrong, so after having a massive disagreement with them i had to spend an hour of my time sorting it out, no bigee but none the less annoying, as i took it to them as they are supposed to know what they are doing

i love the get up and go with the new gears and 31" tyres, all said a great improvement.

next job is to get the a/c going and get a paint job on the bonnet (hood) roof and tailgate

gee,s i love this car

Ewen

congrats! i'm sure those axles will treat you much better with the 31's, and i know the 8.25 will be a much better axle for all around use.

wait NEW D30 and C8.25? or just new to you? I would love to see a pic of shiny new axles!

yep brand spanking new, the d30 was built in 1996, NOS, the 8.25 is also nos

a local off road shop here in AUS managed to get a bunch of them from somewhere in the US, the front brake pistons were seized and needed a kit but otherwise all went well

i had just previously fitted new front control arms (quadratec) and now it rides like new

4x4 driving is ok here but we dont get the variety you do or the incredible scenery

Ewen

for me it was an easy choice, the cost i was quoted to rebuild and re gear the d35 , plus then re gear the d30, was much more that i paid for the two diffs new, and as an added bonus i got all new breaks,

was an easy choice, except for the handing over the folding for it hehe

what kinda cookie would you like, and wheres the tech?

to please the crowd: Ewenm, could you post up a picture of how the "experts" said you should have the shims.

yeah sure, i,ll do it later, but basically i have wedges to compensate for the 3" shackles

and what they did was put the wedges in back to front causing the input shaft to point further up,

so if you think of the prop shaft pointing down from the output from the transfer case then the angle along the top is slightly greater than 180 degrees ( does that make sense) so as the prop shaft comes to the diff the angle on the top should be something less than 180 degrees,

BUT the installers had the diff pointing to high so the angle along the top was greater than 180 degrees

so under power the prop shaft was vibrating wanting to hop out, cause under load the pinnion goes higher, i,ll try and post pics later

hope that makes sense

yeah the folding stuff is money, you know , you have to fold it to fit your "bill fold" or wallet

they tried to tell me that, thats how they always set them up, and vibes were just to bad, and i should have a custom prop shaft and a SYE, yeah right

wacker just wanted more money,

Last edited:
Sounds like they installed the shims fat side aft, pointing the diff pinion up? That is standard if you're running a slip yoke eliminator / CV (double-cardan) rear driveshaft, as you want the diff pinion pointing at the t-case in that scenario. On a '94 with 4" of lift, not needing said SYE/CV shaft is pretty standard. With no CV shaft, it should remain neutral, which is usually no shims. Either way, with a standard (single u-joint at eash end) driveshaft, you want the t-case yoke and diff yoke to be the same angle, maybe a degree or two lower on the diff to allow for rise under acceleration. Sounds like you have it figured out, unless the shims put your diff pinion angle way lower than the t-case one. Vibes and driveability are a good indicator.

yep thats what they did, and yes i now have it right, which from my limited experience you can tell you have it right if you have no vibes, especially accelerating up a hill

Ewen

Back