• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj build

kniel3378

NAXJA Forum User
okay here we go.

• Clayton Long arm upgrade
  • RE 5.5 coils
  • Skyjacker Hydro shocks
  • RC trackbar and dpa
  • Skyjacker SS brakelines
  • Rear Bastard pack(used a set of lifted mj springs and stole the mj shackle also)
  • Havent decided on a tire. Either 33 or 35 pitbull rockers

Beginning:
DSCN5699.jpg

3 piece crossmember bolted and welded in.
DSCN5711.jpg

Grinded these down some more. Looks a lot better:
DSCN5734.jpg

Both Arms in:
DSCN5737.jpg

And the shocks and coils....
DSCN5740.jpg

The front done besides the trackbar and brakelines:
DSCN5745.jpg

Rear Bastard pack:
DSCN5761.jpg

Cross member and arms:
DSCN5760.jpg

Next to my truck. (they used to almost be the same height):
DSCN5753.jpg

Just need tires:
DSCN5756.jpg

Okay, so today I put a buddy's 33s on just to see if they would look good. still havent decided on 33s or 35s. What do you think?

062.jpg

Flexed it on a dirt mound in front of my buddy's shop.

63.jpg

62.jpg

64.jpg

Last edited:
Depends on how much money you want to dump into the drivetrain. If done properly and cautiously, 35's would mean bigger axles, preferably d44's front and back, and at least 4.10 gears (4.56 preferably). 33's you'll want to upgrade some of the steering, 35's probably all to one ton. Even though yeah, they aren't much bigger.....weight is a factor with your drivetrain. Stuff can start breaking pretty easy.

I don´t really feel safe w/ my chromolyed D30 w/ 35s and plan to upgrade to a D44 as soon as $$$ allows.

Perhaps think about a set of nice Rubicon wheels wrapped in 285/75R16 (that´s about 33.5x11.5R16)

Looks good with the 33's!!! I had a friend with the same lift height you had who had 35's, and although it looks awesome with them on there, without trimming a lot he had a loss of flex from the 33's, not to mention the parts that he was having to replace after each outing from those big meats.. I am going to be going with 33's as well.. at least until I can afford some axle upgrades.... 1 Ton FTW!!!

Keep the stock tires for extra flex.

lol. i had a big interest in the 35x12.50x15 ltbs but they are on a national backorder. So im probably going to do some 33 tsls.

I do have the 29 spline 8.25. ive heard it is equivalent to the d44. or atleast very close.

Im not sure on tire size lol. I have people telling me to go both ways and making a good argue about it. I just dont want to regret not running 35s. thats where im stuck

Nice XJ, good decision on the 33's.

Don't know what your gearing is currently but mine with the stock 3.55 and 32's was a complete dog when driving around town or wheeling. I can't even imagine how bad it would be with 35's.

I'm currently on 32's with 4.56 gears and it's nice to have the power back. Way easier on the drivetrain too.

I'm in Clearwater so maybe I'll run into you on the trails.

yep 33s should be here wednesday. I ordered my HnT sye also. need to get that done.

Does anyone know if a driveshaft can physically hold the rear down. I feel like the stock driveshaft is preventing the rear to extend to the proper height. Im just wondering if this is possible.

Does anyone know if a driveshaft can physically hold the rear down. I feel like the stock driveshaft is preventing the rear to extend to the proper height. Im just wondering if this is possible.

Nope!Did you wait until the rig was on the ground before you torqued all the hardware?

yep 33s should be here wednesday. I ordered my HnT sye also. need to get that done.

Without the SYE, I assume you are still running a slip yoke - that will not do anything to your rear axle movement or positioning, as far as I'm concerned. I think you would pull something else apart. But you could always remove the DS and see what happens. My guess will be nothing. Being a bastard pack, it would not be suprising if it does not put the rear end exactly where you'd wanted.

Back