• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG All Terrains

I have had my BFG All-terrains for nearly 2 years now, and I have to admit, I am not all that pleased with them.

The traction and grip on them are nowhere near as good as my stock tires, and it's a whole lot easier to skid when turning and starting from a dead stop, even on dry roads.

In fact, in the rain, I don't feel safe driving on them. Just the other day, I was starting from a stop light, and the road was wet from rain but not flooded or anything, and I went to give it some gas (didn't floor it) and the Jeep skidded from side to side so bad I nearly pulled the part-time 4wd handle for reassurance.

Are there any good tires out there that have better traction and grip or should I just stick with what I've got?

BFG KM2's or if you want to stay with an AT I hear good things about the Bridgestone Dueler REVO's

I have had my BFG All-terrains for nearly 2 years now, and I have to admit, I am not all that pleased with them.

The traction and grip on them are nowhere near as good as my stock tires, and it's a whole lot easier to skid when turning and starting from a dead stop, even on dry roads.

In fact, in the rain, I don't feel safe driving on them. Just the other day, I was starting from a stop light, and the road was wet from rain but not flooded or anything, and I went to give it some gas (didn't floor it) and the Jeep skidded from side to side so bad I nearly pulled the part-time 4wd handle for reassurance.

Are there any good tires out there that have better traction and grip or should I just stick with what I've got?

That's interesting, I never had that problem when I had them. I did have a constant problem of blowing out the sidewalls while on the trail though.

If you drive your jeep mostly on the road, I'd stick with an AT. If you don't like the BFG A/T, I've heard good things about the General Grabber AT (My buddy had a set and loved them), though you might be steered away as the tread pattern is almost identical.

Try http://www.tirerack.com. They have reviews on there and some good prices on tires.

That's interesting, I never had that problem when I had them. I did have a constant problem of blowing out the sidewalls while on the trail though.

I have a set I bought the day before My jeep got totaled so I didn't get a chance to run them. I'll throw them on the next rig and see what I think of them.

I like my BFG MTs (not KMs, just the old base MTs) though they were a bit scary at first on rainy roads, and love to hydroplane. It'll be interesting to see how they do on light snow within the next month or two, especially because I've put a decent number of miles on them and they're getting toward bald now. I'll have to look at my stock tire set I picked up for $250 again, they were Bridgestone Dueler somethings (I forget the specifics, APTs maybe? Not sure) and they absolutely rocked in slippery conditions. If only they were bigger than 28" :(

I have great traction with mine... No hydroplaning, no wet traction problems, and when I forget I'm driving a truck and take corners too fast, they grip like performance tires.

If you drive your jeep mostly on the road, I'd stick with an AT. If you don't like the BFG A/T, I've heard good things about the General Grabber AT (My buddy had a set and loved them), though you might be steered away as the tread pattern is almost identical.

Try http://www.tirerack.com. They have reviews on there and some good prices on tires.

The Grabber sucks. The tread pattern is much more aggressive (the blocks interlock less) so they are noisy and wear fast.

The Grabber sucks. The tread pattern is much more aggressive (the blocks interlock less) so they are noisy and wear fast.

You don't run MT's do ya? :D

That's the other thing, the BFG MTs make a real racket on the road. I really don't care though, if I wanted a quiet car that snuck up on people I'd get a Honda. Dunno if the ATs are comparable on noise.

To the OP:

After long periods of dry conditions, the first couple of good rains will make the roads slick as hell as the accumulated oils mix with the water. After a few good rains things will be better. Also, if you haven't experienced it yet, when taking off from a stop and crossing painted lines in the road your tires will often loose traction on the painted and wet surface.

One thing to try is have your tires siped. Costs about $10 to $12 per tire, major improvement in traction. Google "tire siping".

That interesting. I always loved my A/t's. Great in dirt, snow, and rain.

But mt/r's are wayyyyy better.

To the OP:

After long periods of dry conditions, the first couple of good rains will make the roads slick as hell as the accumulated oils mix with the water. After a few good rains things will be better. Also, if you haven't experienced it yet, when taking off from a stop and crossing painted lines in the road your tires will often loose traction on the painted and wet surface.

One thing to try is have your tires siped. Costs about $10 to $12 per tire, major improvement in traction. Google "tire siping".

X2 on the oily roads. My BFG AT's do the same the first day or two of good rain then all is good!

ive had no problems with my 33" BF A/T. they handle awesome on the road but i could ask for a little more offroad

To OP, what size tire are you running and at what pressure?
The BFG AT's don't get the severe winter designation for having bad traction.
Do the "chalk test" on your tires.
Get some kids sidewalk chalk and draw thick lines across the tread surface on all tires in three to four places per tire. Adjust pressure until the chalk line is wearing across the whole tread when driving straight. You'll need a nice flat surface of course. Adjust accordingly and report back if that helped or not.
Also, how often do you rotate your tires?
How many miles on 'em and what are your tread depths? Any siping left?
-B

I have been running BFG AT's on my pickup since 1995. The only time I have ever found them lacking in traction was on ice.

I feel they hooked up better than the BFG MT's I ran on my XJ for the first few years I had it, and are better on the road than my MT/R's are.

I'll stand with the others on check your tire pressure, its probably too high. Mine are 31x10.5 and I run at about 29 psi.

I've got 31x10.50 and pressure is 34-35psi

I don't know the exact miles on them but I'd hazard a guess at maybe 30,000-60,000 miles, I don't know exactly.

Try lowering your pressure 5 pounds and then doing the chalk test.

I have the BFG AT's on a couple of the Jeeps and love them for on road, on dry rock they are ok, in the muck, they will not clean out. I think your issue on road is tire pressure, I run 28 in my XJ's unless I am towing then I step up to 35-40. For trail use it depends on the size tire/wheel combo but I often air down to around 15 and use the CO2 tank to fill them back up for the drive home.

Back