• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel gauge sometimes doesn't work, 99 XJ

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes when I turn on my XJ, the fuel gauge doesn't seem to turn on with everything else because the needle doesn't move, and the gas light comes on like it's out of gas. I have to turn off the XJ and when I turn it back on, it works fine.

This happens maybe one time out of 20 starts. Any ideas?

Look no further then your gas tank. The sender is in there with the pump. It sends the signal to your dash gauge. If you decide to change it out, try and get the fuel level below 1/2 tank and then change it w/o dropping the tank. With experience, it could be done in about 30-45 minutes.

How difficult is this to get to and replace?

Its not bad.....I did it in a friend's driveway while on the road away from home.

Just make sure you wait until you KNOW you are below a 1/2 tank. The pump/sender has a wiring harness that unplugs and two fuel lines to remove (hose clamps) then using a flat bladed screwdriver and a hammer you just loosen the slotted "keeper". once that is done, simply pull the pump/sender and maneuver it out. Use a new gasket that comes with the new pump/sender and the hardest part is starting that slotted keeper, but once its started just tap it on and re-connect your lines.

I should note that it helps if the area is clean, crap WILL get in your eyes if you are not very careful!! Jacking up the rear end allows easy access as well and with a flashlight, you should be able to see and get your hands on everything.

I thought you even had to drop the fuel tank on a '97+ to replace just the fuel filter. So I am assuming that this would also be necessary to replace the sender. Does that sound right?

Sig220, You have taken a fuel pump out of a '97 or newer XJ without dropping the tank? I don't see how......

No, I have not taken the fuel pump out of a 97......my experience was with a '87 and a '92.

Don't tell me that they moved the damn thing to the top??? BTW, I have changed a ton out of Crown Vic's as well and never dropped those tanks either...as they sit in the same position on the tanks.

Come on.......did they change the position......I am going out now to check the other Jeep in the driveway.....a 2001 now.

Just went and looked.........Yes, they moved the pump/sender at least on the 2001.

Disregard my advice if the year of yours is newer then at least a '92. My apologies!!

Thanks Mudbutt!!

My 97 does the same thing, and I am going to try to get the dealer to do it thru the recall as soon as I get the time. The 99 might fall under the same recall. Check it out.

Easy trick to empty out the tank is to connect a fuel guage tube to the schrader valve and short out the fuel pump relay. The pump will empty out the tank in no time. You might be better off just changing the entire fuel pump assembly. In my experience, once the sender is going out, the pump is not far behind. Me personally don't want to drop the tank too many times...

How hard is it to drop the tank on a 97+ XJ?

Easy. Go to funjeepsparts.com, buy two of part number J3240023, go to home depot, buy two stainless steel nylock nuts to fit them, buy two stainless washers of the same size, cut the J-bolts on your existing tank, drop it. Done :) I absolutely hate unscrewing nylocks off those bolts so I just get new ones, since they are less than two dollars each.

On the 97+ the tank is plastic and the pump is held in by a plastic screw-on retention ring, you'll want the tool to unscrew it. I think teamcherokee has the tool but I am not sure. The filter and pressure regulator are one piece, it's that round stainless steel can clipped onto the top of the pump assembly. If you can't get the pump retention ring to unscrew, you can cut it very carefully with a dremel at one side (don't cut into the threads on the tank) to loosen its grip, then buy part numbers 5200 5389 (retention ring, $13) and 5201 8808 (gasket, $9) from Quadratec and install them.

I learned this all the hard way... have fun doing it the easy way.

Back