• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building up the D30?

currently working on mine. i do not want a 44 with 33's and if my ring gear has held up fine with my wheeling so far, i'm not too concerned about that either. i personally wouldn't run 35's on my d30 with my wheeling habits ;)

here's where it's at now:

DSC00071.JPG

IntrepidXJ said:
well, if i didn't kill it before i polished it, and i'm not changing tire size, it'll be fine

but whats inside of that pretty thing?

i ask because i trust your judgement and am curious about your setup...

so what and where do you get a 44 to replace a d30 (in a xj)....do you have to use a full size axle? I have a 8.8 in the back..just a note I am already doing the condom thing as I blew out a u-joint on poison spider and now carry spares out of a 96.
thanks

IntrepidXJ said:
well, i'd rather my yukon alloy shaft be the weak point (with a 2 year warranty) then my R&P :D

It was more of a prove the haters wrong thing, but whatever. :laugh3:

goodburbon said:
My yukon shafts outlasted my R&P.....don't mean to piss on your parade.

I am, however, admittedly very hard on front end parts.

As did his... I was trying to prove the point that the hp30 aint too bad with <35s and some alloys. Guess that went right over the heads.

IntrepidXJ said:
not pissing on my parade. my yukons didn't.

maybe inproper gear setup is the culprit?

:flame: :firedevil :flame:

dbswede said:
so what and where do you get a 44 to replace a d30 (in a xj)....do you have to use a full size axle? I have a 8.8 in the back..just a note I am already doing the condom thing as I blew out a u-joint on poison spider and now carry spares out of a 96.
thanks

There are several options and none are cheap. But after I add up all of the costs I spent on my 30 its not a big difference at all.

consider the costs of polishing a 30

yukon alloys $350
R&P kit $200
Joints $60-400
Locker $200-600
gear install $300
truss $150
brackets $120
Welding $50/hour if you cant do it yourself

compare that to the cost of a ready to go 44 at 2800 from currie and you notice that there is a huge difference. Until you start breaking things like I did.

stock inner shaft broke replaced with warn alloys
u-joint cap came off and destroyed a warn inner, no money replace with yukon.
then R&P and possibly truetrac. now unit bearings at 100 a pop. You can do it to your hearts content, I just dont want everyone to make the money mistakes I did.

dbswede said:
thanks

There is an 87 XJ Waggy for sale.

Back