• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 5125 mounting.

northwestxj

NAXJA Member #1283
Looking at new shocks and am considering the 5125 and 5150 for the front of my XJ. Leaning towards the 5125, and am curious what the best way to mount them on the top is.

I know they make a stem mount for the 5150, but is there one for the 5125 or is it just an eye mount? Best way to use the JKS adapter?

you can get it in a stem mount for the front. it may technically be a 5100 depending on the size you need. From what I remember the 5100 and 5125 are the same shock, but the 5100 is considered application based sizing (ex. TJ w/ 5" lift) and the 5125 just lists the extended and collapsed lengths for 'custom' applications.

On mine I think I ended up with 5100 in the front and 5125 in the rear. If you do end up going with any bar pin eliminators or adapters (i used them in the rear to avoid future issues with the upper rear shock bolts breaking) don't forget to take them into account when doing your measurements.

also, FYI when i was doing some research i called bilstein and they were actually quite helpful!

you can get it in a stem mount for the front. it may technically be a 5100 depending on the size you need. From what I remember the 5100 and 5125 are the same shock, but the 5100 is considered application based sizing (ex. TJ w/ 5" lift) and the 5125 just lists the extended and collapsed lengths for 'custom' applications.

On mine I think I ended up with 5100 in the front and 5125 in the rear. If you do end up going with any bar pin eliminators or adapters (i used them in the rear to avoid future issues with the upper rear shock bolts breaking) don't forget to take them into account when doing your measurements.

also, FYI when i was doing some research i called bilstein and they were actually quite helpful!

Thanks, I will give Bilstein a call to see if there is a 5100 with the extended/collapsed lengths I need.

bumping this back up to get others opinions on adapters. I've heard some bad things about the JKS adapters loosing up all the time, is this pretty widespread?

Has anybody used the pro comp adapters? Seem pretty nice, just worried the top bolt doesn't seem real big as compared to the JKS units.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EXP-690001

Last edited:
JKS uses a humongeous bolt/nut combo, and i beleives its a nylon locking nut... havent heard of any problems...
JKS > procomp, ANYDAY.

JKS uses a humongeous bolt/nut combo, and i beleives its a nylon locking nut... havent heard of any problems...
JKS > procomp, ANYDAY.

Interesting, because I heard that they loosen up and make lots of noise. I saw it numerous places as I've been researching shocks and adapters in the last few weeks.

It is a nylon nut, and they do seem nicer but are double the price for what seems to be the same thing as the pro comp ones (minus the huge bolt/nut, which is the only thing that makes me want to spring for the JKS ones).

Interesting, because I heard that they loosen up and make lots of noise. I saw it numerous places as I've been researching shocks and adapters in the last few weeks.

It is a nylon nut, and they do seem nicer but are double the price for what seems to be the same thing as the pro comp ones (minus the huge bolt/nut, which is the only thing that makes me want to spring for the JKS ones).

Someone's cracked. I've been selling them for years and have never heard of that happening. Perhaps they're installing them wrong (crooked) and upon driving, the mounts settle? I've had them on two different rigs with several sets of shocks and they've always been just as tight as when I've assembled them. JKS > *.*

bumping this back up to get others opinions on adapters. I've heard some bad things about the JKS adapters loosing up all the time, is this pretty widespread?

Has anybody used the pro comp adapters? Seem pretty nice, just worried the top bolt doesn't seem real big as compared to the JKS units.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EXP-690001

We install these on a lot of vehicles at work and a lot of them are 3/4 Chevy's and Jeeps and we never have any issues with them, there beefy. They come with a thick cut washer that is about the same size as the stem bushings are for the top. The JKS ones are nice as well just stay away from the cheap ones they are the ones that have issues. It makes it nice IMO cause you don't have to go through the top to get to the stem and no more fighting with the master cylinder to get to the drivers side.

Back