PDA

View Full Version : Lift Party for Heepspeed

jeeperjohn
September 3rd, 2009, 09:42
I started a new thread so that we could get a good headcount and so everyone can post up what they are bringing. It will be at 30526 Southern Cross Rd. Temecula 92592. It takes place Sep 12th at 9:00 am. Heepspeed will be providing the carne but we will need side dishes and drinks. We will be doing a long arm lift and I will be giving a sort of mini class on doing gears.

Things we need:
A set of tall jackstands- Ryno
A 230 volt mig welder if someone has one (my 110V will suffice if nobody has a 230V)
Bring some lawn chairs
Bring your Karma/for trade parts

HeepSpeed
September 3rd, 2009, 10:23
I'll be there (obviously).
I'll try to bring some extra camp chairs.
I have 2 jackstands, but generic Kragen ones that probably won't be high enough :(

LOL - I might have a lot of parts ;)

terryg
September 3rd, 2009, 11:32
i'm in - cordless impact driver that works great, the bushings we talked about (if still needed john), & i'll try to con my wife into making potato salad - julio & al ate it, & seemed to like it okay!

boostamante
September 4th, 2009, 07:30
Ill be there... gonna get there early to do as much as possible.

-96JeepSpeed-
September 4th, 2009, 12:59
Im sure ill swing by.

CherokeeNewbie
September 4th, 2009, 14:44
is this party open to anyone. I would love to come by and meet some people and get some tips on my installation that will be coming up very soon. i live close by

jeeperjohn
September 5th, 2009, 02:51
is this party open to anyone. I would love to come by and meet some people and get some tips on my installation that will be coming up very soon. i live close by
Yes, anyone is invited. More details will be posted up later in the week.

jeeperjohn
September 8th, 2009, 08:15
O.K. folks I have some bad news to report. My next door neighbor has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Because of this he is sleeping most of the time. My neighbor's A/C does not work so they leave their windows open all the time. So.....I will not be able to do the party part. I will still do the work for Heepspeed but I cannot have a group of people at the house because it would be impossible to be quiet. I am sorry for the late notice but this situation has just developed over the last few days.

I ask that everyone do me a favor. No matter what your beliefs are I ask that you direct some positive energy towards my neighbor. His name is Pat and he has a 16 year old daughter. The kind of cancer he has cannot be cured and it is very painful. My hope for him is that he can go in peace and without too much pain. I thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

boostamante
September 8th, 2009, 09:46
O.K. folks I have some bad news to report. My next door neighbor has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Because of this he is sleeping most of the time. My neighbor's A/C does not work so they leave their windows open all the time. So.....I will not be able to do the party part. I will still do the work for Heepspeed but I cannot have a group of people at the house because it would be impossible to be quiet. I am sorry for the late notice but this situation has just developed over the last few days.

I ask that everyone do me a favor. No matter what your beliefs are I ask that you direct some positive energy towards my neighbor. His name is Pat and he has a 16 year old daughter. The kind of cancer he has cannot be cured and it is very painful. My hope for him is that he can go in peace and without too much pain. I thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

My heart goes out to his family. Thats gotta be one of the toughest things to deal with next to an unexplained death in the family.

John, do you still need me to come video tape the gears install???

HeepSpeed
September 8th, 2009, 11:04
total bummer about getting sick :( WOrking at cancer research institute, I will definitely pray for him and his family.

jeeperjohn
September 8th, 2009, 13:49
My heart goes out to his family. Thats gotta be one of the toughest things to deal with next to an unexplained death in the family.

John, do you still need me to come video tape the gears install???
If you want to tape the gear install it will have to be Friday. I plan to get the gearing done on Friday.

boostamante
September 9th, 2009, 09:24
If you want to tape the gear install it will have to be Friday. I plan to get the gearing done on Friday.

hmm, what time friday do you think your gonna start? i dont get off work till noon. PLus i wanted to pick up those parts from you.

-96JeepSpeed-
September 9th, 2009, 09:30
Hmmm,Taping a gear job is pretty clever!

jeeperjohn
September 9th, 2009, 09:40
hmm, what time friday do you think your gonna start? i dont get off work till noon. PLus i wanted to pick up those parts from you.
I will be starting around 9:00 am but I am doing both axles so if you miss the first one there will be the other one to tape.

boostamante
September 9th, 2009, 11:06
I will be starting around 9:00 am but I am doing both axles so if you miss the first one there will be the other one to tape.

might just make it out on friday. I'll let you know for sure by thursday night. if not, ill be there sat for sure.

terryg
September 13th, 2009, 09:59
did ya'll finish the lift yesterday? nice meetin ya, & when your rig is ready, we'll get ya out on the trails

jeeperjohn
September 14th, 2009, 11:02
did ya'll finish the lift yesterday? nice meetin ya, & when your rig is ready, we'll get ya out on the trails
Well after working steady all day Fri, Sat and Sun we got the lift done and the axles re geared. It turns out the SYE was not shipped so we are waiting for that. Thanks to Terry who hung out as long as he could on Sat before going to work, and Julio (Boostamante) who stayed and helped till late Sun night when he had to work Mon. This was a big project and it went pretty well considering Garrett's bum hand and my smashed finger. Garrett's girlfriend, Sam, did a huge amount of the work and got in there and turned wrenches like a pro! Big thanks to her for, well, being her. The RE kit is a very well designed and very complete kit. I hope to see Garrett doing some gnarly wheeling with it soon. We didn't get any pics as we were basically too busy and didn't have any extra hands most of the time. Some time in the future when I am doing a gear job we'll see if Julio can put together a good video of it all.

fiyerbirdie
September 14th, 2009, 12:17
John does it again... Selflessly helping everyone under the sun!!!!:angel:

John how did it turn out? :cheers:

SanDiegoXJ
September 14th, 2009, 13:29
Crap! I totally forgot! Sorry I flaked. =(

HeepSpeed
September 14th, 2009, 14:01
Everything was awesome! John is amazingly knowledgable - when I was staring at the :3-piece crossmember that had 5 pieces...

THANK YOU JOHN!!!! SYE and driveshaft are being shipped today

http://jeep-xj.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30&stc=1&d=1252961602

Terry!!! BIG THANKS to you for getting the Jeep broken down and ready for new parts. For "not being mechanical", you sure know what's up!!!

http://jeep-xj.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27&stc=1&d=1252961602

Boostamante - man, thanks for coming all the way down to Temecula from my neck of the woods for this and staying late Sunday . I'll definitely be available when you build yours

http://jeep-xj.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32&stc=1&d=1252961882

And Dylan, you and your plastic toolkit are welcome anytime!!

http://jeep-xj.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28&stc=1&d=1252961922

I'm a happy BUILT Jeep owner! :cheers::woohoo::listenmus

http://jeep-xj.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31&stc=1&d=1252961602

HeepSpeed
September 14th, 2009, 15:34
Everything was awesome! John is amazingly knowledgable - when I was staring at the :3-piece crossmember that had 5 pieces...

John is here doing some grinding and cutting so that the long arms will fit.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21756&stc=1&d=1252967117

Terry and my gf are working hard to take off the old suspension bits...luckily no bolts broke!

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21753&stc=1&d=1252967117

A new friend local to my area came down and helped out. Boostamante!

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21758&stc=1&d=1252967117

And Dylan, John's son, can already turn wrenches with the best of them...even if they are plastic.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21754&stc=1&d=1252967117

I'm a happy BUILT Jeep owner! :rockon: :ban:

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21757&stc=1&d=1252967117

jeeperjohn
September 14th, 2009, 15:43
John does it again... Selflessly helping everyone under the sun!!!!:angel:

John how did it turn out? :cheers:
His rig looks so good with that lift I am a little jealous. It went from a goofy looking stocker to a beefy, built, "alternative hue" rig! It is now locked front (many thanks to Tim for donating a fixable Aussie) and rear, and equipped with a very high quality long arm kit and good shocks. I can't wait to see this thing wheel.

terryg
September 15th, 2009, 09:35
as soon as he gets the sye, how about we start him w/ gold mtn/john bull? it was fun to help out, just sorry i couldn't stay later. met my wife at the door as she was leavin for SD to help my daughter get a new car, sure glad she stopped by your place for my impact driver!

HeepSpeed
September 15th, 2009, 09:47
His rig looks so good with that lift I am a little jealous. It went from a goofy looking stocker to a beefy, built, "alternative hue" rig! It is now locked front (many thanks to Tim for donating a fixable Aussie) and rear, and equipped with a very high quality long arm kit and good shocks. I can't wait to see this thing wheel.

It wasn't goofy...just slightly :anon:!!!!

but now it's built and with a little help learning to correctly drive it locked n loaded it'll be more like :conceited

I can't wait to save up for bucket seats, tube bumpers, rock rails, light bars, roll cage, limit straps, and other goodies...too bad I just got into grad school and now have 70K of debt to plan for LOL :flamemad:

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME :worship::cheers:

HeepSpeed
September 15th, 2009, 09:48
oh, and gas tank skid before any of that other stuff... I don't wanna pull a Terry! ;)

Brendan_91XJ
September 15th, 2009, 20:23
Where is the before and after pics?

scottmcneal
September 15th, 2009, 20:26
Sorry i didn't make it, mine was under a grinder and welder last weekend..Sorry again

jeeperjohn
September 16th, 2009, 07:59
Where is the before and after pics?
Garrett took a couple of after pics but we didn't get any video or more than a few pics cuz it was just a couple of people at a time working on it and we didn't have a camera person. I may try to get some video of the slip yoke eliminator installation to post up though.

HeepSpeed
September 16th, 2009, 08:34
I'll post a before and after photo this weekend when I get the Jeep up to LA

HeepSpeed
September 18th, 2009, 10:18
Before:
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs158.snc1/5888_750233803317_3610222_43467759_607146_n.jpg

After:
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs226.snc1/7327_767948582757_3610222_44281950_7692991_n.jpg

Brendan_91XJ
September 18th, 2009, 15:05
Very Nice! :D

terryg
September 18th, 2009, 22:32
that lift looks great - letsw run it after u get the sye installed - tween john, julio, & me, think we can get u on the right path & probably scare the pants off ya

jeeperjohn
September 19th, 2009, 00:30
that lift looks great - letsw run it after u get the sye installed - tween john, julio, & me, think we can get u on the right path & probably scare the pants off ya
Oh, that's part of the plan, believe me! :D

HeepSpeed
September 21st, 2009, 12:15
:wierd: Who said I wear pants when wheeling?

silverslk
September 21st, 2009, 12:37
Lets see a side shot. I had to crank my lowers out ALOT when I installed my RE kit. It kept crunching the trailing edge of the front wheel well pretty bad under full compression. I adjusted to the max RE recommended (I think 1.5x diameter of threaded section) to get it sitting right and not screwing up the body. When I was done it would rub the leading edge of the fender just a little under the most extreme articulation.

I would have come out and gave a hand but 3 reasons why I didn't......

1. Didn't know it was going on
2. Vowed NEVER to install another RE long arm kit after mine
3. Vowed NEVER to install another RE long arm kit after mine

HAHA. That thing was a PAIN in the A$$

boostamante
September 21st, 2009, 13:49
Lets see a side shot. I had to crank my lowers out ALOT when I installed my RE kit. It kept crunching the trailing edge of the front wheel well pretty bad under full compression. I adjusted to the max RE recommended (I think 1.5x diameter of threaded section) to get it sitting right and not screwing up the body. When I was done it would rub the leading edge of the fender just a little under the most extreme articulation.

I would have come out and gave a hand but 3 reasons why I didn't......

1. Didn't know it was going on
2. Vowed NEVER to install another RE long arm kit after mine
3. Vowed NEVER to install another RE long arm kit after mine

HAHA. That thing was a PAIN in the A$$

It wasn that bad... :spin1:

jeeperjohn
September 21st, 2009, 14:24
It wasn that bad... :spin1:
It was a bit on the time consuming side but not terribly difficult. It was well worth the effort for the comeraderie and friendship that develops from getting dirty together! :laugh3:

HeepSpeed
September 21st, 2009, 17:03
I had a great time doing it! I personally think the hardest part seemed to be taking everything off...especially John's grinding of the upper control arm frame mounts.

Time consuming yes. Shop talk over burritos and such = priceless.

silverslk
September 21st, 2009, 23:00
Well, I guess I should say. I installed that lift with one other friend and we started at 9am on Saturday and rolled the jeep out of the garage with the complete lift on by midnight that same day. It's a bitch of a kit especially when there are 2 people and the only thing to cut off the lower brackets is a 4" angle grinder. haha

boostamante
September 22nd, 2009, 07:20
Well, I guess I should say. I installed that lift with one other friend and we started at 9am on Saturday and rolled the jeep out of the garage with the complete lift on by midnight that same day. It's a bitch of a kit especially when there are 2 people and the only thing to cut off the lower brackets is a 4" angle grinder. haha

I guess you could say we had the advantage of having 2 more helpers than you did. Oh, john used a angle grinder to take of the upper control arm mounts as well. took foe-eva!

Thats ok, got to get to know these guys and i gotta say that was worth the 100 miles trip out there.

HeepSpeed
September 22nd, 2009, 08:28
update: Took the Jeep whomping a bit on a fire road while out camping at the SB Hot Springs. Having that locked rear axle definitely changes the game and when I popped into 4wd, it was point and shoot.

not to mention the single donut we did was pretty good with that locker.

The ride on the highway was unbelievably smooth for the ride height. The long arms sure do it right. The ride only got better after I got the alignment done on Friday before the trip.

The only thing I noticed was that when making a sharp turn at a decent speed, it seemed that the front axle might have locked up (even when in 2wd) because a loud bang would come from it which sounded like the front locker unlocking...I wasn't worried though!

Thanks for all the help guys! I can't wait to have you all in the truck and hitting a few whoops!

boostamante
September 22nd, 2009, 09:00
update: Took the Jeep whomping a bit on a fire road while out camping at the SB Hot Springs. Having that locked rear axle definitely changes the game and when I popped into 4wd, it was point and shoot.

not to mention the single donut we did was pretty good with that locker.

The ride on the highway was unbelievably smooth for the ride height. The long arms sure do it right. The ride only got better after I got the alignment done on Friday before the trip.

The only thing I noticed was that when making a sharp turn at a decent speed, it seemed that the front axle might have locked up (even when in 2wd) because a loud bang would come from it which sounded like the front locker unlocking...I wasn't worried though!

Thanks for all the help guys! I can't wait to have you all in the truck and hitting a few whoops!

nice dude! hey, where did you go for an alignment and what did they charge you? im gonna need one when i get mine on the road this week.

HeepSpeed
September 22nd, 2009, 09:02
I went to Samo Wheel & Alignment in Santa Monica on Pico and 13th. Good guy!
$70 for the front end alignment.

boostamante
September 22nd, 2009, 09:15

Hmmm, sweet! ill have to get out there assuming my mickey mouse aligntment can get me there in 1 piece :P

HeepSpeed
September 22nd, 2009, 11:31
I drove back from Temecula on mine, and it drove 100% better after the alignment, so you should make it LOL...

WebDog
September 22nd, 2009, 22:21
hey what hot spring did you go to? I was wanting to go to one up there for a while while i lived up the coast but never did.

HeepSpeed
September 23rd, 2009, 10:12
We went up to Big and Little Caliente Hot Springs up near Santa Barbara, CA.

Nothing beats heading up, grabbing a burrito from Freeb!rds and bombing some fireroads! It's either real relaxed or real party time. Our group was half and half.

HeepSpeed
September 23rd, 2009, 19:11
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs228.snc1/7524_769699523857_3605965_44360098_7394451_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs208.snc1/7524_769699294317_3605965_44360060_3400662_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs228.snc1/7524_769699583737_3605965_44360108_4344441_n.jpg

boostamante
September 23rd, 2009, 20:09
That thing looks beefy! i love it!

-96JeepSpeed-
September 23rd, 2009, 20:28
Looks great! I love that color too. I washed John do the front gear job on it.

jeeperjohn
September 23rd, 2009, 21:11
Now that you've put some miles on it, don't forget to check all the fasteners to make sure they're tight.

boostamante
October 8th, 2009, 10:21

did you have to make an appointment??? i called davis bros and they quoted me 80 the other day. icalled back today to make an appt and some other guy said he had to look at the jeep 1st b4 he could do anything to it... wtf? 4wheelparts want like $135... faaaacccck!

HeepSpeed
October 8th, 2009, 12:15
I just said I could come in at 12 and yes, made an appointment. Tell 4wheelparts that it's not a 4wheel alignment because you can't align the rear wheels...they're trying to scam you. You can only align the front.

silverslk
October 8th, 2009, 12:48
Julio, if you are willing to drive. The guys at New Century Tires in Midway City (Huntington Beach) do a great job. They took care of SoCalBIlll's rig and he has no problems since (that I know of).

Also, hit me up, I need to talk RC crawlers with you. I have one at my house I am selling for a friend and don't know much about them.

boostamante
October 8th, 2009, 16:10
Will do! i go the alingment taken care of today at Samo Wheel and brakes. That guy Howard is a super nice guy!

Julio, if you are willing to drive. The guys at New Century Tires in Midway City (Huntington Beach) do a great job. They took care of SoCalBIlll's rig and he has no problems since (that I know of).

Also, hit me up, I need to talk RC crawlers with you. I have one at my house I am selling for a friend and don't know much about them.