• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Zero Oil press

Tom_W

NAXJA Forum User
I just put my 2.5 L 4 banger back together (86 Cherokee) after having the head rebuilt because of a burnt valve and I still have one of the problems I had before, Zero Oil Press at idle. I put a new oil pump on, cleaned all the crap out of everywhere, new push rods, rockers, lifters, & rebuilt head. I am using a manual guage too, so it is not the sending unit. When it is a little above idle, the oil press rises to 25 or so, and at higher rpm, climbs to 50 - 60 + , but as soon as I let off the gas, it drops back down to 0. I am using Mobil 10 - 30, new Wix oil filter also. Bypass is supposed to be in the block on this engine, but I dont know where it is, or if that is the culprit. When I cleaned the engine, I even removed the nipple that the oil filter screws onto, to clean behind that. I didnt feel or see anything behind the nipple either. Oh, another thing, when I took the oil pan off, buried in the sludge and gunk were 4 pieces of what looked like lead, about 1/4 " wide, and about an inch or so long, except I couldnt figure out where lead would come from, any ideas ?????

Tom_W said:
I just put my 2.5 L 4 banger back together (86 Cherokee) after having the head rebuilt because of a burnt valve and I still have one of the problems I had before, Zero Oil Press at idle. I put a new oil pump on, cleaned all the crap out of everywhere, new push rods, rockers, lifters, & rebuilt head. I am using a manual guage too, so it is not the sending unit. When it is a little above idle, the oil press rises to 25 or so, and at higher rpm, climbs to 50 - 60 + , but as soon as I let off the gas, it drops back down to 0. I am using Mobil 10 - 30, new Wix oil filter also. Bypass is supposed to be in the block on this engine, but I dont know where it is, or if that is the culprit. When I cleaned the engine, I even removed the nipple that the oil filter screws onto, to clean behind that. I didnt feel or see anything behind the nipple either. Oh, another thing, when I took the oil pan off, buried in the sludge and gunk were 4 pieces of what looked like lead, about 1/4 " wide, and about an inch or so long, except I couldnt figure out where lead would come from, any ideas ?????
The lead would be part of a bearing and that would explain the low oil pressure also.
If theres no knocking then it's most likely a cam bearing.

Back