• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You may think this sacrilege...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
But, even though bacon is the essential building block of Awesome, it actually can be improved!

Tips:

1) Try trimming it. If you're going to do this, look for packets of bacon that look like more "meat" than "fat." Cook slowly, since you'll be able to overcook it easily. All of the taste, but you eliminate just about all of the fat (if you're a fat bastid, this will help. At 275#, I don't have a lot of room to complain...)

2) Rub it with cracked black pepper before you cook it. Use "cracked" - not "ground." It's better that way.

3) Soak it in a good dark beer overnight. Then cook it. You'll probably be glad you did...

4) (Haven't tried this one yet...) Can you say "Bacon Jerky?" Trim well before drying - leaving too much fat on the meat will make it turn rancid quickly.

If you're going to trim, use a very sharp knife to do so - it will be far less work (this is when I get out my surgically-sharp santoku blade...)

That is all. Enjoy!

Oh - and a good, filling breakfast? Scrambled eggs with pinto beans and crumbled bacon. Throw a little cheese on top, and you've got something that can keep you going for the whole damned day!

Last edited:
!

Oh - and a good, filling breakfast? Scrambled eggs with pinto beans and crumbled bacon. Throw a little cheese on top, and you've got something that can keep you going for the whole damned day!
Add some sliced Jalapeno's to that.
icon14.gif

5)Sprinkle a little sugar on it while its cooking.

6)No matter HOW you cook it...... ALWAYS pat the grease off right after cooking if ya like your bacon kinda chewy.

: heading to the kitchen to make a bacon/shredded cheddar samich :
eat.gif

Last edited:
Add some sliced Jalapeno's to that.
icon14.gif

I would, but there's this nuisance allergy I have to fresh onions and peppers, dammit...

5)Sprinkle a little sugar on it while its cooking.

Somthing akin to "maple cured" bacon?

6)No matter HOW you cook it...... ALWAYS pat the grease off right after cooking if ya like your bacon kinda chewy.

Always do - how my bacon comes out is a function of cooking time. Grease is usually something I don't really want.

And no matter how else you cook it, make sure you cook it slow. It comes out so much better that way!

: heading to the kitchen to make a bacon/shredded cheddar samich :
eat.gif
[/QUOTE]

Got a sandwich shop down the street, I get a eggs, cheese and either bacon, taylor pork roll on rye. Well, they now have cheese steak n eggs on a hard roll.
That keeps me going the entire day, along with a bag of cheese nips I have in my desk drawer.

5-90: 275?

Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy--feather merchant!

I can honestly say I am twice the man I was when I graduated Boot Camp--180 lbs then.

I would, but there's this nuisance allergy I have to fresh onions and peppers, dammit...

What are your "nuisance" symptoms? I have issues with them as well.

When at home, I usually bake it in the oven.. comes out the same everytime, and takes zero effort, other than waiting impatiently. lol.

What are your "nuisance" symptoms? I have issues with them as well.

Essentially, it's massive GI irritation. Anything that isn't nailed down is trying to get out one end or the other at somewhere around Mach.

@Joe_Peters - 275# is my running estimate - I actually weighed in (dressed) at 294# last week. Yech. I've got to get back on track to lose weight - I've been flat-arsed with the barometer dropping for the last fortnight or so, and just as it was coming back up I had to take my wife into the body & fender shop (right medial unicondylar knee arthroplasty. On the heels of a right THA - steel on composite - in December...) I'm trying to knock back down to 240# - 275# was my "fighting weight," but that was also at about 8% body fat. I know I'm considerably higher than that now...:laugh: My peak "fit weight" was 288#/8%, even tho I looked like about 230# at the time (I never got bigger when I'd work out - I just got heavier. I still can't float in fresh water...)

Come to think on it, I haven't been under 225# since I was 12. About the time I started shaving, too...

@cracked-butt - I don't recall the relevant section, but it is Federal law that you take bacon with you as part of camping provisions, unless you're going to go fully primitive and "live off the land." Bacon, when taken camping, is to be cooked either in a cast iron skillet (which also comes in handy for self-defense. If you're going to cook eggs, don't drain the bacon - just finish it on a flat rock. The grease will keep the eggs from sticking to properly-seasoned cast iron) or cook it directly on a flat rock washed in clean water and dried in the fire. In fact, the flat rock works as a griddle for just about anything (I've done bacon, burgers, steaks, flapjacks - all on a good flat rock.)

i do not recall why we was using the foil instead of the cast iron on that day.
i do remember that when cooking bacon on the fire like that, keep 2 sets of tongs handy (our daughter took the set & ran around with them as the bacon grease dripped into the fire making it flare up & over cooked the bacon). didn't have anything else loong eno0ugh to "reach in & pick it up.

Back