• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mmmmm...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
1 cup rice, uncooked
1/2# red beans, uncooked
1/2# black beans, uncooked
1/2# pinto beans, uncooked
1# ground beef, uncooked
1# loose sausage, uncooked (spicy or mild per taste)
1/2# bacon, uncooked
2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup

Soak beans overnight and cook to desired tenderness. Beans may be cooked together.

Start rice cooking

Crisp bacon and drain. Crumble.

Cook ground beef and sausage together, adding additional spices to taste (I like to use spicy sausage; then add garlic, fennel seed, and cayenne.) Cook well and drain, add crumbled bacon and keep warm.

Get out your biggest damned bowl (I ended up mixing this in a roaster pan!) Drain beans. Collect rice. Drain meat one more time.

Put everything in bowl/pan, add cream of chicken. Mix thoroughly (a combination of "cut" and "fold" with a wooden spoon will work well for this, without bursting the beans.)

Divide into desired portions, freeze. Keep one or two in the fridge at a time - advise not more than 10 days or so. When you eat one out of the fridge, replace it with one from the freezer.

Good for a quick something-to-eat when you're tired from working, and it does a good job filling you up and leaving you fed. Hell, I'm chewing through a batch right now!

Enjoy.

You can also try this, no meat, but it makes a great snack or side:
Spicy rice

1-1/2 tsp. vegetable oil

1 green bell pepper - diced
1 medium size onion - diced
4-6 garlic clove "leaves" - crushed or finely chopped.

1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
1/2 tsp. pepper

2 medium tomatoes - diced
3-4 green chiles - diced
Optional: 1/2 cup mushrooms(7-8 caps) - diced

1/2 cup water
1 can chicken broth(14.5 ounces)
Optional: 1-2 tblspoon red wine vinegar

1-1/2 cups long-grain rice

Preparation:
Bell pepper: remove center and seeds, coarsely dice
Onion: peel and chop med./fine
Tomatoes: remove seeds/centers: Optional: crush seeds/centers in bowl & strain juice into 1/2 cup water.
Green Chiles: You can substitute about any pepper for the chiles(I use jalapenos)Split in half, remove seeds and rinse(for milder/less spicy, remove all trace of insides and rinse heavily) then dice finely
Garlic: I usually crush the garlic into the diced bell pepper before I start.
Mushrooms: Medium diced. I saute the mushrooms separately first, but they may be added un-cooked with the Bell pepper.(I don't like raw/undercooked mushrooms)

In a deep pan or pot, preheat oil at medium heat. Add the coarsely diced green pepper, onion and crushed garlic cloves(add raw mushrooms here).
Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.

Stir in the rice and cook for about 5 minutes until slightly browned.
Add in while stirring, the salt, pepper and cumin.
After 2-3 minutes, incorporate the chilies & tomatoes(add cooked mushrooms here).

Add water and chicken broth into the mixture. Add vinegar.
Bring the liquids to a boil, cover, and let simmer over low heat until the liquids have been absorbed (about twenty minutes).
I have a batch on the stove that'll be finished in about 5 minutes.

You can also try this, no meat, but it makes a great snack or side:

I have a batch on the stove that'll be finished in about 5 minutes.

Looks pretty good, but I'd have to modify it. I can't eat the flesh of peppers or onions (nuisance allergy. Damn...)

Looks pretty good, but I'd have to modify it. I can't eat the flesh of peppers or onions (nuisance allergy. Damn...)
Oh, man,...

That SUCKS! :tear: Pepper AND onions? Damn. Can you eat garlic?(close relative of onions,..)

I don't know if it would be worth doing without the peppers. 'Might as well just stick with red rice.

Oh, man,...

That SUCKS! :tear: Pepper AND onions? Damn. Can you eat garlic?(close relative of onions,..)

I don't know if it would be worth doing without the peppers. 'Might as well just stick with red rice.

Garlic? No trouble there.

Hot sauce? No trouble. Dried red pepper seeds? OK. Black pepper? No worries. Granulated onions? Use it all the time.

I'm not sure what it is, but the flesh of peppers and onions (fresh or cooked) gives me the worst trouble - anything that isn't firmly nailed down is trying to get out one end or the other at something around Mach 3. If I got told I couldn't eat garlic anymore, I'd probably pitch myself off a cliff...

anything that isn't firmly nailed down is trying to get out one end or the other at something around Mach 3.

dude, that quote made my day. maybe it's just the lack of sleep over the last two weeks, but i approve greatly.

Back