• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You know you own/drive a XJ when...

You talk to your Jeep and praise it...lol

After you sell it you feel like you just broke up with your Jeep.

...the guys at the parts store know you because you own one of the most unreliable piles of american engineering ever thrown together and you're constantly replacing parts on it. :smsoap:

You walk thru parking lots looking under other XJs to see if they have a D44...

...you have to give someone a ride, and you say "wait a minute, I have to move the spare parts/tools off of the passenger seat/floor first so you can get in..."

I've done both of these with in the last week ;)

Last edited:
...the guys at the parts store know you because you own one of the most unreliable piles of american engineering ever thrown together and you're constantly replacing parts on it. :smsoap:

Man, I don't know if I'd go that far. I've owned/driven a lot of different rigs in my day, and I'll honestly say, the ol' XJ has been very good to me for how rough I've treated it, -especially considering how old of a rig it is, and how many miles are on it.

It has NEVER left me stranded, -except after blowing the motor due to stupidity on my part (hydrolocked in a pond).

In fact, -if one can get past the mediocre gas mileage, the cherokee is a damn good value for the money. I live in oregon, so we have no road salt here, -and I'll tell ya, -there are still a TON of these things on the road, -they're everywhere. Funny thing is, there aren't too many other cars from the late 80's and early 90's that are still on the road, -the XJ outnumbers all of them, -why ya think that is?

At any rate, -I was just sayin', -you can do much much worse than an XJ in terms of reliability and maintenance headache/cost, -that's all.

The only thing I don't like about my XJ is that it has made me want another one very badly!!

I can't say that about ANY other rig I've owned!!

XJ's RULE.

Man, I don't know if I'd go that far. I've owned/driven a lot of different rigs in my day, and I'll honestly say, the ol' XJ has been very good to me for how rough I've treated it, -especially considering how old of a rig it is, and how many miles are on it.

It has NEVER left me stranded, -except after blowing the motor due to stupidity on my part (hydrolocked in a pond).

In fact, -if one can get past the mediocre gas mileage, the cherokee is a damn good value for the money. I live in oregon, so we have no road salt here, -and I'll tell ya, -there are still a TON of these things on the road, -they're everywhere. Funny thing is, there aren't too many other cars from the late 80's and early 90's that are still on the road, -the XJ outnumbers all of them, -why ya think that is?

At any rate, -I was just sayin', -you can do much much worse than an XJ in terms of reliability and maintenance headache/cost, -that's all.

The only thing I don't like about my XJ is that it has made me want another one very badly!!

I can't say that about ANY other rig I've owned!!

XJ's RULE.

I completely agree the only time I've been stranded by my XJ was with a mud clogged radiator (first time in mud) and when my rear end grenaded. I'd say thats pretty good for going on 5 years of ownership. And I rip on it pretty hard just about every chance I get.

When you don't care that your heater doesn't work because you know that as soon as your tranny warms up it will warm you up because of your lack of carpet and insulation.

When you drive through a pond and decide that drilling two holes in the floor on each side would be easier and better than bailing the water out.

When the people at the parts store know you by name and don't have to ask all the specifics for your XJ and instead ask which part and what type of car that came off of.

When the people at the parts store say you should get an account with them because you order more parts than most shops.

When unfortunately you have to take it to a shop and you spend 30 minutes telling the mechanic what parts came off of what vehicles.

When you stay up until midnight reading this thread because its all true and you have to wake up at 5 and have class from 8 in the morning until 7 in the evening and know you won't get to go to sleep until at least 11 the next night.

After every good rain there's a puddle on the floorboard even though the windows were up, at least until you rip out the carpet and drill drain holes instead of finding the leak.

...You have scars from when you told your wife the jeep doesn't have A/C any more because you needed it to pump up your tires.

This is why I will never get married, some women just dont understand
You just gotta be smart enough to find the one that does or compromise...;)
My wife complains when I talk about removing the carpet, but when I do it, she'll be fine. until she gets in and sees no more carpet...:D

When you open the drivers door and it pops so loud, people duck.
When the uninitiated open your rear hatch, let go and require stitches.
When your pleased at least two windows go up and down without help.
I've got these three...except it's the passenger door and most people require me to close it. They're just afraid to kick it past the pop. :D The passenger window just died so I now have driver's front and passenger rear that work.

...your center console latch is broken.
Your center console lid is broken as well.
Cupholders? more a pre 97 one.
You can change a starter motor in 15 minutes or less.
You upgrade all the crap on your XJ that doesn't work or was never meant to be installed rather than buying a vehicle that came with it all, just cuz you like your XJ.

You just gotta be smart enough to find the one that does or compromise...;)
My wife complains when I talk about removing the carpet, but when I do it, she'll be fine. until she gets in and sees no more carpet...:D

I made the carpets removeable a long time ago... she only complains when I flood it with the carpets... and her purse in it still...( I have the abuse on film its around here some where )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE-25lNEL_k I should have kept my doors on that day....

when you buy a loud sound system just to get rid of all the other noises, so you dont worry your friends too much, then your headlights become strobes and your battery dies alot because you cant afford a capacitor

when you buy a loud sound system just to get rid of all the other noises, so you dont worry your friends too much, then your headlights become strobes and your battery dies alot because you cant afford a capacitor

Yea when i ever i hear a new noise, i just turn up the radio!!:party:

When is is -4 outside but you go outside every hour to check on your new Jeep's oil leaks.

When you drove home 1100 miles in your new leaky Jeep.

when its been 1100 miles(7 months) since your water pump started leaking like crazy... and you have the water pump but not the time to change it.

Back